Best safety sos item

sean.cgv95

Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Location
ON
Hello all, this year I was lucky enough to get a Moose tag in 15b the group I'm going with has gone up there before and has let me know that there is no cell reception. We have a satellite phone but it's very expensive to connect just for one month I'm wondering if there's something out there I'm not aware of that has the capability of a being there in case of emergency.
 
spot but also what is behing your ears ... stupidy can kill easier than you think. never assume technology may save your bacon alone.
 
Check if there's a HAM tower nearby. If you get can on a hill top, you can transmit very far with those little baofeng radios.

Remember seeing a test 2 people did: 140km transmit distance or some other ridiculous distance. I believe it was in the Italian Alps (from Peak to Peak, no obstructions whatsoever, so perfect conditions).

You can always get a type of antenna (a step ladder type antenna) that you can hoist up in a tree to get even more reach.

We got lucky, we have a tower approx 15km away from where we hunt. Allows us to contact the outside world (they have a phone patch as well).
 
another vote for inReach mini. Have a look at the Montana 700 too. Has InReach and killer mapping in a smart phone type screen.
i carry a sat phone that costs me $90 a month (yikes) but i've needed it a couple of times.
 
Back
Top Bottom