Bicycle gun.

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
This thing is a Quackenbush Bicycle gun in .22 cal. A 12 in. barrel, 27 in. over all with the stock slid out. Works fine, very good bore.
A wise man told me these things came with a holster that attached to the bike. I can't even find a pic of one. Any of you know of anything?
Back in the 1890s, early 1900s, bikes were expensive, and little guns were cheap. Some stores gave a mutt gun as a promo if you bought a bike.
Good times.

P1030891.jpg
 
I remember seeing one for sale at Joe Salter's Canadian site a while back but they are not common.
It looks like something they would drop behind the lines during WWII or in the back of a bush plane up north.
Nice find thank for letting us see it.
 
005-8.jpg


Sears Roebuck 1900 catalogue.

After Quackenbush got out of the firearms business, they manufactured other nickel plated hardware items. A lot of lobster crackers are stamped QHC - Quackenbush Hardware Company.
 
005-8.jpg


Sears Roebuck 1900 catalogue.

After Quackenbush got out of the firearms business, they manufactured other nickel plated hardware items. A lot of lobster crackers are stamped QHC - Quackenbush Hardware Company.

Great find on the add. I guess I was buying at the wrong time. I could have bought a 100 or more of them! Darn inflation. Bill..
 
This isn't a "velodog" defensive gun - it is a compact firearm intended to be easy to carry while cycling, for use as a rifle at the destination. Earlier, a similar concept was the "buggy rifle".

You know, there would likely be a market for a reproduction of these.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom