Black Powder Accessories

Boolitcaster

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
Well, after some 30 odd years of saying "someday", I finally bought a black powder gun.
It hasn't arrived yet, but I know that I will need a lot of accessories to shoot and maintain it. Do any of the vendors at this site sell cleaning jags, powder measures, ball starters etc? I will ask at the local gun club as well, but it is nice to have some options.
 
For most of my supplies I use Track of the wolf out of the U.S.The local shops sometimes have a not bad stock but for the most part it is hit or miss.In your neck of the woods Mcleods blasting supplies is the Canadian distributor for Goexx Black Powder.Projectiles are going to be expensive to ship because of weight so if you cant find them locally your best bet is to cast your own.All you need is a cheap 2 cavity mold,a small pot and ladle,some pure lead and a campfire.
 
Jack Adams of 2 paws trading is usually at the V I gunshows, he'll have everthing you need.:D I'm in Nanaimo, and if you need any further help, just shoot me a Pm .
Cheers nessy.
 
wow yeah jack totally slipped my mind, he was the one who got me started on everything. really great guy and good prices. guess ive been in qc too long.

I would definitely get in touch with him

mclean
 
black powder

you must visit the gun show-2 days, this coming weekend at victoria. you will find everything you need plus if you are frugal a lot of used stuff is avail at this show. bought a lead pot for 20- a few years back and it's going strong after a few thousand castings. powder, lead, patches, caps etc. will all be found. make a list ahead of time and don't be afraid to ask. many times the dealer just does not have room on the table but it may be in a box under the table next to him. glad to have you aboard. have fun, rgds, bill
 
Yup - the two day show in Victoria this coming weekend (29th/30th oct) is a great place to find stuff. There are two south island gun stores that have blackpowder stuff too.

For stuff that's "good to have" I've got some suggestons:

- Variable powder measure. I used a fixed volume measure for a long time, but now that I shoot multiple loads out of different guns it's a life saver. Makes a huge difference.

- Ball starter. I have two, one being a little hardwood headed hammer with a brass rod for a handle, but any will work. I just needed two because I was shooting balls that were quite tight to the bore for increased accuracy.

- Brass range rod. If you're shooting a lot in the day your gun may start to coke up (fouling) and it may become increasingly hard to load your gun. A brass rod can help loading in these cases and saves a lot of effort if used correctly.
 
I prefer a mallet shaped short starter with a relatively long handle. On mine, the head is a piece of moose horn about 2" or so long and 1 1/4" diameter with a 3/8" diameter brass handle about 10" long. I can also use it as a loading rod for a pistol

cheers mooncoon
 
you must visit the gun show-2 days, this coming weekend at victoria. you will find everything you need plus if you are frugal a lot of used stuff is avail at this show. bought a lead pot for 20- a few years back and it's going strong after a few thousand castings. powder, lead, patches, caps etc. will all be found. make a list ahead of time and don't be afraid to ask. many times the dealer just does not have room on the table but it may be in a box under the table next to him. glad to have you aboard. have fun, rgds, bill

This coming weekend I will be in Puerto Vallarta. Too bad I will miss the show. I guess I will just have to drink more rum to drown my sorrows.
 
When you try to order BP accessories and go to the checkout a message appears "some restrictions apply". Can you still place the order?
 
Back
Top Bottom