Black Powder availability

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I finally got some REAL black powder from a fellow at the range on BP Sunday, a prospective BP shooter asked me why the stuff is so hard to come by in the Vancouver area?
I can buy BP substitute no problem from some gun stores but they never have the real stuff in stock. Is the real black powder harder to ship and store than the substitutes or is it a lack of demand for it that causes a problem.
Any ideas on this?????
 
A little of both, I believe. Most of the in-line shooters use Pyrodex or other substitutes and these are classed as "Flamables"; whereas real BP is classed as an "Explosive". The shipping and storage requirements for BP are a lot more stringent (and therefore expensive) than for the substitutes. Suggest you get involved with the BC BP Assoc. and I think you will find there is a lot more of it around than you might otherwise imagine - and less expensive too. Certainly that is the case here in AB.
Good luck.
 
I think I have run my supplies out in Edmonton. The shootiest only has FFFFg , Lock and Load...nothing. I did notice wholesale has Goex in their cataloge but they never actually get it in.

If you go to Goex's website they list Caroline supply as their distributer...maybe there is a distributer in B.C. aswell.

Nic

Nic
 
Black Powder is classified by all UN countries as a high explosive (1.1D), while Pyrodex is classified by all UN countries as a Low Explosive (1.3C). The quantities and regulations for storage of high explosives is different than that of a Low Explosive.
 
Thanks everyone for the information. I have a pound of powder that will last for a while and give me time to find some more. I will send a few e-mails and see what is out there......thanks again...:)
 
Black Powder is classified by all UN countries as a high explosive (1.1D), while Pyrodex is classified by all UN countries as a Low Explosive (1.3C). The quantities and regulations for storage of high explosives is different than that of a Low Explosive.

If BP is considered high explosive , what the hell is semtex classified as ? ;)
BP is in reality a propellant .
But then , we are talking the UN.......:rolleyes:
 
If BP is considered high explosive , what the hell is semtex classified as ? ;)
BP is in reality a propellant .
But then , we are talking the UN.......:rolleyes:

Smokeless is a propellant. BP is an explosive. Pile a bunch of each up, add an ignition source, and it'll be fairly clear which is which. It's not a very fast explosive. But still an explosive.

Cheers
Trev
 
"...Black Powder is classified by all UN countries as a high explosive..." BP isn't now nor has it ever been classified by anybody as a high explosive.
"...A little of both..." Pretty much. Retailers are limited to how much powder, of any kind, they can have on their shelves without being required to have a powder magazine. BP isn't in as much demand as smokeless. I think it has border issues, as well. Wouldn't put any money on that though.
These guys are the Canadian GOEX distributor. No web site.
McLeod's Blasting Supplies Ltd.
4546 Lochside Drive
Victoria, BC, Canada V8X2E1
250-658-2535, Fax: 250-658-2056
 
My local shops all carry GOEX.

On GOEXs site there is a list of their distributors. 2 for Canada, the other one is

John Emmett
P.O. Box 442
Thorold, Ontario
Canada L2V 4J6
 
Back
Top Bottom