Black powder calculator???

for most things, get an adjustable powder measure and use that. Most measure up to about 100 - 120 grains with numbered lines in 10s and half marks between

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks Gents; I've been scouring hi and low for a measure and it looks like I'll have to get one mailed to me...but in the mean time I'm beside myself with anticipation to shoot what I've got.
Here's what I came up with {thanks, fredfiset and skinny for the chart} from there I had to figure grains to grams and came up with 5 grams of GOEX fff = somewhere between 75 and 80 grains.
I'll let you guys know if it goes BOOM or Ka-BOOM :D
 
I think it is important to point out that direct comparisons of black powder and smokeless powder is impossible due to totally different chemistry.
For black powder the list of ingredients is:

Potassium nitrate
Sulfur
Charcoal

For smokeless:

Nitrocellulose
Nitroglycerin
Diphenylamine
Ethyl Centralite
Rosin
Polyester

Ingredients may vary somewhat for smokeless but the point is that X volume of smokeless does not equal Y volume of black powder in terms of peak pressures produced.
 
your alternative would be to have someone you know measure out a series of charges in the range you want and then make a set of your own measures out of something like 45-70 shells cut to length.

You have not told us what you are shooting which would have a bearing on how much powder you require. In terms of accuracy, I would not recommend using 3 or 4 small scoops with a small dipper. You would get far more consistent charges using a single larger measure. The graduated measure that I describe should run about $15 to $20 tops

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for helping make this possible. Gotta love CGN'er's, enjoy
plinker7

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums...rrent=1sttimewHawkenstyle45BlackPowder008.mp4
http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums...rrent=1sttimewHawkenstyle45BlackPowder006.mp4
 
Last edited:
Im confused.If my scale is in grains and I measure out black powder ,say for a 45-70 -60 to 70 grains of cartridge bp depending on bullet choice and then take the same scale and weigh out 13 grains of trail boss for the same cartridge ,same bullet choice,are you guys saying the bp that that I weighed out wasnt 60-70 grains due to a difference in make up of bp.
I also have a measure that has lines as Mooncoon talkes about and at the 100grain mark using 2F it is only actually 90 grains of scale measured bp so the little adjustable measure isnt exact but it is consistant.
In the plastic dipper assortment that I have there is usually a slide scale that has the different powders listed and grains and the list of dipper numbers,line up the powder window and grains and the corelating dipper number appears in the dipper number window.
 
Back
Top Bottom