Black powder cartridge in 45............

I bought a Uberti 1873 SAA in .45 Colt and will take it to the range on Monday to shoot some "Cowboy loads" by Hornady. At > $ 1.00 a round for the factory ammo I am going to set up to re-load in about a month.
I want to load black powder as I have it on hand at all times and the gun that I have is a copy of the black powder frame Colt.
Most of my shooting to date has been with Cap and Ball revolvers so moving into cartridge guns is quite a change. The .45 Colt cartridge is impressive...it is like a torpedo.:D
How did you like the USFA Colt....I was looking into getting one but couldn't find any dealers that have them.
Here are a couple of pictures of my new ( 1 week) gun:

New45Colt004.jpg

New45Colt012.jpg

New45Colt013.jpg
 
I've loaded alot of .45 Colt's with Black Powder, a full charge makes for a very nice boom and some flames, just like it should be. Use 250 grain, soft cast bullets lubed with BP lube, use a drop tube to fill case and compress powder, don't use bullet seating to compress powder. The usual warning applies: there should be no airspace in your loaded round. Enjoy!!
 
My USFA is great! Mine was made on the old Colt factory grounds, before they moved their manufacturing site to a new facility.

The authenticity is better than the crap Colt makes today. Mine has the original "four clicks" when you #### it - all the competition have three. I bought the Gunslinger with the aged finish and single piece walnut grips. They flubbed (in my favour) by putting the Ainsworth cartouche on the grip, and the "US" on the receiver. It looks mighty nice beside my my Colt Second Generation Walker!

I bought my USFA direct from them. With everything considered, it took a year to get it in my hands. That was due to paperwork, but I'd use Prophet River next time around. They're about 10 weeks.

Cheers,

Bill
 
Hi Gents,

I've fired my USFA Colt .45 SAA in both smokeless and blackpowder, and would like to find a source for black powder cartridges.

Is there anyone out there who reloads .45s in black powder?

Cheers,

Bill

Those USFA Colts are fine pistols. I like the .45 Colt cartridge as well. I find it very easy to reload (especially with Black Powder). There is not a source for Factory Black Powder cartriddges that I am aware of (if anyone knows different please speak up), so reloading would be the best option (perhaps the only) for you.
I do Cowboy Action Shooting, and Black Powder shooter's definitely get the attention. It is a great show. I think it is much more fun than shooting smokeless.

I load 250 grain RNFP bullets with 35 grains of GOEX FFg powder. Makes a nice "BOOM", with plenty of smoke, and flame. :cheers:
 
I've loaded alot of .45 Colt's with Black Powder, a full charge makes for a very nice boom and some flames, just like it should be. Use 250 grain, soft cast bullets lubed with BP lube, use a drop tube to fill case and compress powder, don't use bullet seating to compress powder. The usual warning applies: there should be no airspace in your loaded round. Enjoy!!
No expert by any means; that's why I'm asking.
And here, rather than reloading because the reloading forum doesn't have much time for answering questions from the Luddite like myself... do all BP cartridges need to work with a compressed charge?
Front stuffer's and cap 'n balls I've fired many times...but BP cartridge weapon's...nope. I've got one but it's never been fired. Die's, bullets & cases I've got; I've just never found the time to get any done for the ole 360.
Thanks for your time.
 
Bring soap and water to the range to drop your fired cases into immediately. BP is pretty corrosive towards brass and this practice will extend your case life considerably.

(esp if your brass is expensive stuff, like BP cartridges for rifles!)
 
If you clean your brass with soap and water after use, the brass should last forever.....don't over bell the case mouth when reloading, occasional annealing will help as well...very low pressure loads don't stress the brass..
 
Back
Top Bottom