black powder "flintlock" law

westwest

CGN Regular
Rating - 92.3%
12   1   0
Hi, I know you do not need a PAL to purchase and own a flintlock rifle but is it legal to SHOOT a flintlock without a PAL ? Can one go hunt or target practice without taking the PAL course ? What is the requirments for shooting a flintlock without a PAL or are there any?


Thanks:)
 
There is no requirement for a PAL under the federal Firearms Act to shoot a flintlock. However you must follow all other provincial and local laws. If you're in an area with a bylaw against discharging firearms or a conservation officer catches you hunting with a flintlock without a licence you're out of luck.
 
There is no requirement for a PAL under the federal Firearms Act to shoot a flintlock. However you must follow all other provincial and local laws. If you're in an area with a bylaw against discharging firearms or a conservation officer catches you hunting with a flintlock without a licence you're out of luck.


Hmmm, So if I am hunting with a flintlock I must have a PAL or just a hunting license ? What about just shooting target's on crown land ?

Thanks
 
Would look up your provinces laws on this.They probably require you to have a hunting licence to shoot on crown land.Not having a PAL would get you into trouble I think if you came across conservation officers. Don't expect them to know all the laws involved as they usually don't.
 
Federal law does not require me to have "own" a PAL for a flintlock rifle. If I had a hunting license would I be able to hunt without a PAL ? Or shoot on crown land in the middle of nowhere ? Where do I find the laws regarding this.

thanks
 
Hmmm, So if I am hunting with a flintlock I must have a PAL or just a hunting license ? What about just shooting target's on crown land ?

Thanks

I don't know anything about shooting on crown land (there isn't any around here where shooting is permitted) but if you were hunting you would need a hunting licence, not a PAL. You don't say where you're located, but in Ontario the hunting laws consider a flintlock to be a "firearm" (along with bows, slingshots, and anything else capable of killing an animal) so if you are out where game is present you need a hunting licence.
 
Federal law does not require me to have "own" a PAL for a flintlock rifle. If I had a hunting license would I be able to hunt without a PAL ? Or shoot on crown land in the middle of nowhere ? Where do I find the laws regarding this.

thanks

where i am in BC ,i need a hunters # to get a hunting licence,and i need that just to target shoot on crown land.
 
It is very simple.

No PAL is needed to own, possess, shoot, hunt, clean, strip, load, view, fondle, transport, store, paint, oil, gaze upon ......... or anything else you can think of to do with a flintlock long-gun in any location within the entire country of Canada.

A hunting licence has ZIP to do with the tool with which you choose to hunt.
 
where i am in BC ,i need a hunters # to get a hunting licence,and i need that just to target shoot on crown land.

In BC, neither a PAL or Hunting Lic is required to shoot on Crown Land. The only problem you may have is if you are "shooting on crown land during hunting season". If a CO was to come by,you may have to explain what you are doing, but if you had targets set up, etc, can't see where there would be a problem. Out side of hunting season.........no worries.......I do it all the time.

Just remember where the CO will be coming from and treat with respect. The same thing holds true when I come across a CO when I am prospecting and carrying on my Wilderness ATC.

PS: I have never had a CO ask for my Rego Certs yet.
 
I don't know anything about shooting on crown land (there isn't any around here where shooting is permitted) but if you were hunting you would need a hunting licence, not a PAL. You don't say where you're located, but in Ontario the hunting laws consider a flintlock to be a "firearm" (along with bows, slingshots, and anything else capable of killing an animal) so if you are out where game is present you need a hunting licence.


I live in alberta and do know that you can shoot on crown land as long as it is safe and lawfull "best bet far from populated ares. Flintlocks, canada wide do not need PAL's to own them regardless of when they were made. Hunting ? I dont plan on hunting but if shooting on public land it may be wise to have a license I guess ...
 
It is very simple.

No PAL is needed to own, possess, shoot, hunt, clean, strip, load, view, fondle, transport, store, paint, oil, gaze upon ......... or anything else you can think of to do with a flintlock long-gun in any location within the entire country of Canada.

A hunting licence has ZIP to do with the tool with which you choose to hunt.

That's good to know . So if I did decide to hunt all I would need is a hunting license and nothing else If I were to use my flintlock rifle?

Cheers
 
It is very simple.

No PAL is needed to own, possess, shoot, hunt, clean, strip, load, view, fondle, transport, store, paint, oil, gaze upon ......... or anything else you can think of to do with a flintlock long-gun in any location within the entire country of Canada.

A hunting licence has ZIP to do with the tool with which you choose to hunt.

Thanks for the info.... But I wonder how many wildlife officers are aware of not needing a PAL to shoot? I plan on getting my PAL soon but have put it on hold. Im hoping the longgun registry will be abolished soon .
 
In BC, neither a PAL or Hunting Lic is required to shoot on Crown Land. The only problem you may have is if you are "shooting on crown land during hunting season". If a CO was to come by,you may have to explain what you are doing, but if you had targets set up, etc, can't see where there would be a problem. Out side of hunting season.........no worries.......I do it all the time.

Just remember where the CO will be coming from and treat with respect. The same thing holds true when I come across a CO when I am prospecting and carrying on my Wilderness ATC.

PS: I have never had a CO ask for my Rego Certs yet.

Do you have a flintlock also ?
 
Thanks for the info.... But I wonder how many wildlife officers are aware of not needing a PAL to shoot? I plan on getting my PAL soon but have put it on hold. Im hoping the longgun registry will be abolished soon .

Wildlife officers are probably acqainted with 'flinter' law. If you are nervous about that , carry a copy of the relevant section of the firearm act with you.

Flint LONG guns , no pal needed. Hunting licence , probably ( depends on province and what your hunting) .
Get out and enjoy it.....:D
 
Are you talking about hunter education certificate ?

CORE ,conservation and outdoor recreation education ,Its a course that quaifies you to get a hunting licence.You are given a hunters number that you always keep.


thats interesting what was said in the previous posts about BC crown land,I was always under the impression I needed my hunting licence with me for just plinking.
 
Back
Top Bottom