Black Powder Handgun Picture Thread

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I really like black powder handguns and I know there are others that have them.
Reproductions and original antiques...lets see them.
Action pictures welcome.
To kick it off here are three of mine,from left to right:
Uberti 1851 Navy.... fairly close copy of the original.
Bresica Repro of Griswold Gunnison Confederate copy of 1851 Navy
Pietta .44 Navy "Yank" fantasy reproduction of a gun that was never made.

RangeMarch202011002.jpg
 
Last edited:
Black powder stuff isn't really my thing, but this one followed me home one time. It's a Tranter revolver with both a cartridge (.450 CF) and black powder cylinder, along with some loading tools, molds, etc. I have alway thought it was pretty cool.

tranter%201.JPG

With the black powder cylinder.

tranter%205.JPG

With the cartridge cylinder.

tranter%207.JPG

In the box with the goodies.
 
Skinny, how does the Pietta compare to the Uberti? Isn't Uberti a little pricier; and is it worth the extra coin?
I've got a Pietta Navy in .44 and truth be told; I enjoy shooting it much more than my Old Army. It's better balanced ( to my hand , anyhow ) and much nicer to handle & clean.
Sure, the Old Army will digest full cylinders of 777 behind 220 conicals like a fat kid with a box of Smarties. But if I want to hit stuff, my Navy is the go-to smokepole.
M-201008.jpg

I'll be getting rid of the Old Army soon and I'm toying with a idea of a Uberti to replace it, maybe a 1860 Army. If they are worth the extra coin, maybe I'll try a Uberti.
(Sorry no Navy pic; and I'll try to figure out how to drop the pics down a size)
 
I don't know if my Uberti is typical of newly manufactured guns of this brand but I had trouble with it right from the start. It would jam up due to the cylinder bolt deploying too early and the hammer could not be pulled back. I sent it back under warranty (it was made in 2010) and after that it worked fine for about 200 rounds. Then the hand spring broke because they had over crimped it at the factory, I replaced it with one that I had from the Pietta .44. Other than that it is by far the most accurate of all three shown,it has the best looking grips and I like shooting it.
The brass framed one shown has really small nipples on it and the #11's need to be pinched in order for them to stay on. It is second on the list for accuracy.
The Pietta .44 is a lot more powerful but I have to aim way low and to the left in order to hit the bullseye at 7 meters.
If you are going to buy a new gun... try it out and make sure the timing is perfect. The cylinder bolt should engage just before the hammer goes into full #### otherwise the cylinder will get nasty looking rings around it (see the Pietta .44).
 
moore11.jpg



Moore was the first Swing out Revolver and S&W sued them and won. Patten infringements!!!!!!!!!!!
Smith closed Moore down and sold out there inventory after re-stamping the barrels with S&W. This one is not marked Smith & Wesson. Made popular because it was a Seven shot 32 RF cartridge revolver.
This was the favorite belt pistol for the Union Officers and a back up revolver for Cole Younger
 
Mold for .31 arrives.

The mold for the 1849 showed up and was immediately put into production:

849gunandmoldTabletop007.jpg


The end product is a bit rough but for an old mold they aren't too bad:

849gunandmoldTabletop012.jpg


The gun itself is not ready to shoot but I am working toward making it functional again..at the same time being aware of the potential danger. I am waiting for parts from the U.S. to continue with this project.

849gunandmold006.jpg


The open blue sky in this shot makes it look like there is a lot of bluing left.....there is in fact no original finish left at all.
 
Last edited:
Just got this gun today, it is a Manhattan Series IV .36 Navy. A period (1865) copy of the Colt Pocket. The extra cylinder stops were patented and allowed the cylinder to lock in between the nipples.

Manhattan36004.jpg

Manhattan36003.jpg
 
Just got this gun today, it is a Manhattan Series IV .36 Navy. A period (1865) copy of the Colt Pocket. The extra cylinder stops were patented and allowed the cylinder to lock in between the nipples.

Manhattan36004.jpg

Manhattan36003.jpg

Love that manhattan i have the 5 shot pepperbox and a manhattan hero single shot.
have been looking for a manhattan revolver
 
If you like Manhattans check this site out, the guy will respond to any questions you might have and he has an awesome collection.

http://www.manhattanfirearms.com/

Prior to the Colt patents running out the Manhattan Fire Arms Company made pepperbox and single shot guns. There was a pepperbox on Pawn Stars the other night in really nice condition.
 
Last edited:
If you like Manhattans check this site out, the guy will respond to any questions you might have and he has an awesome collection.

http://www.manhattanfirearms.com/

Prior to the Colt patents running out the Manhattan Fire Arms Company made pepperbox and single shot guns. There was a pepperbox on Pawn Stars the other night in really nice condition.


i have been to his site he also has a yahoo group that I'm a member of

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/manhattanfirearms/?yguid=211231913
 
Here is my Belgium bulldog that I have posted here before. Rusty Wood did a great job putting this little revolver back into shooting form. It is .41 caliber over 10 grains of black powder out of trimmed .44 special cases.
DSCF3137.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom