Black powder in bore

Smcx

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
Here and there
Hey all. I have an old black powder revolver that has black patches in the bore. I’ve tried hot soapy water, ballistol, ballistol ammonia cleaner, oven cleaner, hoppes 9, all with scrubbing with a bronze brush. I’ve tried all these many times between shooting. There is still black patches in the bore. Any suggestions?

Thx!
 
Wrap some steel wool around the bristle brush, add a couple drops of light oil then chuck the cleaning rod in a hand drill and give it a couple minutes......if that doesn't polish out the black stuff then the black is most likely corrosion.
 
The steel wool and drill might be the right trick if the issue is in the cylinder chambers.

If it's in the rifling down the barrel try the steel wool on the brush but work it up and down rather than spinning in place with a drill.
If it's hard fouling or lead this should get it out. If it's corrosion this will polish it up and keep it from holding as much lead or gunk.

Something less harsh on the barrel to start with is copper ChoreBoy pot scrubber or bronze wool but those might not be at hand.
 
Last edited:
Sometimes to salvage a barrel ya gotta go unorthodox, Ram steelwool with oil on it up and down that bore as tight as you can. The corrosion will do more damage in shorter order then the steel wool will. I’ve cleaned a few seemingly beyond muzzleloading rifle barrels and given them new life that way.
 
are you sure that the black patches are not pits ? I have seen lots of pits but don't recall ever seeing patches of black powder stuck to the bore (assuming it has been cleaned after shooting)

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom