Black powder loads

smokindonuts

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
Napanee, Ontario
I have recently loaded for the snider enfield. I did a little first time shooting with a .577 minie, paper patched and set in a 24ga. hull with 65 grains of Fg. I will try FFg in the near future once I get some. What I wanted to know is; what is the difference betwen the different courseness of Black powder. I use FFFg in the pistol, what would be the equivilent grains for rifle in FFFg. Or is it not a good idea. I like Black powder shooting but I need a little demistification.
 
The finer granulations will burn faster giving higher pressures and sharper recoil. This might help upset bullets to groove diameter better. Finer powder generally burns a little cleaner also.

The original loads for a cartridge like that would have had something like Fg. The slower burn rate makes better use of the full barrel length. Regardless you want a full case of powder and varying the amount that you compress it also changes the burning characteristics such as pressure and how clean it will burn.

Its hard to give a foolproof set of rules or steps because of all these variables. The best thing about Black is that generally any load that you can make with no airspace will be sae to fire. Getting good results just takes a lot of experimenting. Even changing bullet lube can have a huge effect on group size.
 
You shouldn't be using FFFG in any case that is as large as the Snider. FG is the choice of most while some will use FFG. The FG takes up more space in the case and makes it easier to load leaving no air space between powder and bullet. Original rounds were loaded using FG size black powder. I stick with FG for the reasons stated. Good luck, Dave
 
Is it safe to say that say 50gr of FFFg would be similar in projection to 70gr of Fg. Or am I out in left field.

You need to be sure the cartridge is filled to the base of the bullet or wad. No airspace in the case, so you must use enough powder to fill it. Use Fg or FFg for most applications in large cases, like the Snider.
 
don't "fill " the case with black powder. i played with a snider a few years ago and i have no idea how much black powder the case will take, but it will take LOTS.

load your 50-60 grains of black then put a filler over that to top up the case. seems to me i used "red river cereal" or something simliar. then set your bullet.
 
I have to agree with the Fg advise. In large cases this is the only way to go...STAY AWAY FROM FFFg in the Snider.
Don't use a drop tube in charging the cases, but do use some sort of felt wad behind the bullet, it will help with accuracy.
Using a filler in reduced loads is sound advise as well, though you should never use an equal volume of filler and powder.
Have a blast and enjoy.
 
The original charge for those rifles was a powder called RFG2: Rifle Fine Grain Number 2.

In chemical composition, it was identical to what we are using today.

In size, it was closer to what we call a FFFg than it was to an FFg. Fg (an American term, as the others) normally is used in the biggest sporting guns (8s, 6s, 4s, monsters like that) and in light artillery. I would think drop the load a couple of grains and use FFF, should be safe and still expand your Minie balls. I have burned up a fair bit of FFFg in Sniders, still have all my fingers.

Important point: have fun with her!
 
I should have clarified on the cases I use. I have been loading 24ga preprimed shot hulls which I cut to fit. I am therefore able to custom fit my cases to the loads used and eliminate airspace. I understand if I go to brass cases I will have to use filler and yes, it will take alot. I am also measuring my powder by weight. I only use goex which I understand is similar when measured by weight vs. volume. It appears that I get little decrease in the fill of the case when experimenting with finer powder. I have poured a few cases but not finiched or fired any.
 
Back
Top Bottom