Black powder Pietta and uberti revolvers

Garyg

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why is the .36 caliber not very popular?
What is the best size of ball for the .44 ?
I gather you can't use wheel weights for moulding round balls.
 
Correct - pure lead only in these or you will break the loading lever.
Umm; that's news to me...I've burned through about 400-500 balls made of WW's. Granted I sort through them and pick out the softer WW's.
I'm using a .454 Lee mold & my Pietta Navy is .451 I believe. WW's have worked well for me.
Not arguing; just saying they work fine for me.
As far as .36 caliber's unpopularity; I think it's the bigger is better thing. BP needs diameter to make power doesn't it? If I'm not wrong only so much power can be squeezed out of a specific caliber.
 
Last edited:
Yep and I'll bet the old .36 was closer to .360 ,and people get good

shot placement from the 35 cal .357 of this day.

Bob

Actually the ".36" revolver takes a .375 diameter (80 gr) round ball. It's kind of anemic by today's standards - 20 grs of FFFg gives about 880 FPS and 138 ft lbs muzzle energy. I still wouldn't want to be hit by one!
 
The .36 cal 1851 was very popular,some 250,000 were made for the domestic market and 22,000 more were made in London. The .31 cal. Pocket Model 1849 was even more popular with a production of 325,000... making it the all time best seller for Colt.
 
I have a .36, always wanted a .44 but couldnt resist this one too good of a price. i think that its an awesome gun and now that I hve a .36 I dont mind it at all. Also the balls are cheaper for it too.

I would love to get another one, sadly i missed the deal on the ee the other day that came with all sorts of goodies.

Cheers, McLean
 
I read an account that his first quick draw duel (one of the first recorded in the West) was at 75 yards, both standing sideways. His opponent missed and Bill scored a lethal hit.

One thing about .36 ball is that it has a much flatter trajectory. Although I get the feeling the above scenario was more the exception than the rule. Engagements often happened up close and personal.
 
From my own experience. I like a bigger Bang that is why I went for the .44 Even with my modern firearms I prefer the .45 to the 9mm. The 9 is just to soft of a shot for me. Then again I am a bigger guy maybe I handle recoil better then some or like it better then others. I just like the feel of a handgun that lets you know it is there. I also (when I bought my 1851) had no idea it was historically a .36 cal. so after I purchase my Walker '47, I will get a nice 51 in .36 to shoot. In my mind it is not unpopular it is just nice to have a choice that modern metalurgy allows and yeah I suppose some of us always like the bigger bullet. IF it came in .50cal I would have probably got that LOL.
 
.36 vs .44

Owning cap & ball guns in both calibres, I have to admit that I enjoy the .44s more so than the .36s. More kick, more noise, more smoke and a bigger 'Clang!' on steel. What's not to like?

Having said that, in teaching ladies to shoot, I find they are not intimidated by the gentle bark of a .36 Navy. My wife gravitated from the .36 to the .44 where she 'adopted' my stainless .44 Remington, so I transferred it to her name! Now she wants a pair ..... ;>)
She also prefers her .44 Spls. to her .38 pl. CAS guns for the above reasons - more bang for the buck.

I used to put on period arms siminars for fellow reenactors. The men all gravitated to the '47 Walker against all advice to the contrary. And of course, loaded to the max. They'd all seen 'The Outlaw Josie Wales'.
After the 3rd round, they all had a world class flinch and only shot the gun dry because the ladies were watching.

The ladies (all newbies) were offered the .36 Navy and had no trouble staying in the black at 15 yards. Talk about ball busting and fallen egos .....

Ballistically, the .44 cap & ball is in the same ball park as a +P .38 Spl., making it a viable self defence gun - then and now. The .36s have a nice hang and balance, but the .44s are a much more serious gun - IMHO. You pays you money - you takes you choice. There's a lot of them out there to pick from.
 
Back
Top Bottom