Black powder Rapid Fire Hand Cannon

Neat, but when were percussion primers invented/brought into use??

I was under the impression the idea of using a percussion cap came about in the 18oos, even if crude percussion explosives may have existed earlier.
 
there's lots of fake ones from china being sold on ebay as antiques for
around $80.00 to $100.00.


would a modern one fired by caps but without a hammer be considered a cannon or a gun?
 
Gonnes had touch holes and where lit with a slow match as far as I know.

There was a place, (handgonne.com) that would sell a small variety of single barrel gonnes but they don't seem to have any in stock lately.
 
In one frame, if you look closely, you'll see that the "nipples" appear to have a hex configuration and suprise suprise, just happen to fit a top hat musket cap!? I think these good old boys bought a pig in a poke, as the Rev. Forsythe did not invent the concept of the percussion cap until the early 1800's. All early period prints and etching displaying such "gonnes" showed the use of a slow match.
Rick
 
Back
Top Bottom