Black powder revolver?

schick

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
I am tosdsing around the idea of getting into black powder revolver. The idea of shooting a revolver and getting all that smoke, followed by what is hoping fair to good accuracy seems appealing. I am wondering if I can get some feedback.

I'm not sure I want to pour powder and stuff balls or reload brass cases. I already reload a bunch of smokeless cartridges, so I think I might lean toward reloading cartridges.

What are my options?

I know nothing about these. Can I get into this inexpensively? Whats a good revolver? Any negatives to look out for?

Thanks.
 
45 colt- you can make blk powder loads for it, and since you're already loading for a bunch of other stuff,, you're halfway home- that's what comes to mind immedately- if you go cap and ball, there's the whole world of stuff you gotta do- black powder, percussion caps which you can't use for anything else but, casting your own bullets- use pure lead only, and the RIGHT bore size, and some ranges won't allow black powder at all- i started doing blk powder back in 74 - been there , done that,if you go cartridge, you can always go smokeless- and that cylinder conversion kit costs as much as the gun used up here- and then you gotta use bore butter or crisco or somesuch so you don't get chain ignition- black powder cap and ball save you money because it takes so long to load the darned thing( i know paper cartridges
 
If you've got .38 Spl already running try some BP loads. After all it originally WAS a BP cartridge. One point though. You need to fill up the cases completely. And the bullet needs to put a decently firm pressure on the stack of powder to lightly compress it. No loose powder or open air spaces allowed with BP or the BP substitutes. Having them leads to pressure spikes and bad things.

The real fun comes with pouring, stuffing and capping though.
 
Can anyone recommend a good six gun?

I don't have a 38 SPL (or a 45) I think I would just go with what was common, so I could easily get components or a decent pistol.

Someone in the past suggested some pistols that a guy could just dump into a pan of boiling water for cleaning. That kind of simplicity is appealing.
 
Anything built by Pietta or Uberti will be just fine. I think Uberti makes a better gun but the difference is arguable. Check out Marstar for Pietta and Shooters Choice for Uberti. As for cleaning, its a little more complicated than that but not much. Hot water and dish soap, dry them off, a few patches down the bore, oil them and put them away.
 
For really simple cleaning look into stainless. Its not as traditional but i know some shooters who just seperate the cylinder and pull the grips on their Old Army before throwing it in the dishwasher. Blow out the little water that remains in the trigger area and squirt in a shot of wd-40 and its done.

If you get a cartridge gun you might as well load smokeless and skip the cleaning. If you want to shoot black get a c&p revolver or a single shot percussion muzzle loader (easier to clean than a revolver). Any of the guns made currently should be pretty good quality for casual shooting.
 
Percussion revolver

If you go for a percussion revolver you will save a fair bit of money compared to the Colt single actions out there.

There are some advantages (?) with a percussion:
- it comes with its own reloading press! This way you can try different loads right at the range.
- black powder fouling is nasty stuff. You need to get every bit of off your cherished baby. Percussion revolvers are designed to be stripped down. A good way to clean them is a solution that is made from windshield washer fluid, water soluble cutting oil (enough to make it green) and a dollop of Murphy's oil soap. This stuff is easy on the wood and it washes away the bp fouling but leaves a nice film of oil. Wipe it off and put a coat of good quality oil on it .

Have fun! Nothing beats the aftermath of firing all 6 cylinders in quick procession! Everybody just seems to gape in awe.

Cheers. Steve
 
my experince is that uberti and peitta are both good, and both have thier faults, if your buying one of thier colt models with the uberti make sure the arbour to barral fit is tight ...when buying the pietta you want to check the cylinder stop bolt they are sometimes a bit oversized and wont lockup into the stop thats nothing a little tuning wont fix though ..... uberti or pietta though are about the best to buy if your looking for cap and ball.
 
Its pretty fun shooting cap n' ball revolvers. I like to break mine down completely for cleaning after each session, so that does take a while.

You'll certainly get some looks/inquiries at the range after you light one of these up!

2319874072_65dc8e5ab0_o.jpg
 
I am tosdsing around the idea of getting into black powder revolver. The idea of shooting a revolver and getting all that smoke, followed by what is hoping fair to good accuracy seems appealing. I am wondering if I can get some feedback.

I'm not sure I want to pour powder and stuff balls or reload brass cases. I already reload a bunch of smokeless cartridges, so I think I might lean toward reloading cartridges.

What are my options?

I know nothing about these. Can I get into this inexpensively? Whats a good revolver? Any negatives to look out for?

Thanks.
Before you do anything, get a good book on Blackpowder shooting....Sam Fadala has written great things you need to know about BP shooting....Read it several times, then decide.....
 
Schick - I don't know what part of Saskatchewan you are in, but there is a cowboy action shoot at the Saskatoon Muzzleloaders range this weekend - Saturday and Sunday. There will be people with a variety of revolvers, expertise and opinions. Might be a good place to drop by if you can.

Cheers
Icebox
ww.sawws.com
ww.smlc.ca/Shoot%20Schedule.htm
 
Back
Top Bottom