Black Powder Revolvers

Vagrantviking has it right, basically. But you are discussing a Handgun, which needs more criteria to make it "Antique" than a Long Gun. Go to the RCMP site, or the Canadian Firearms Centre site, and look up "Antique Firearms."
Basically, a Handgun meets the "Antique" Status, if it DOES NOT MEET the following;
a. Cannot be "Antique" if chambered for .22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle
b. Cannot be "Antique" if chambered for the following calibres;
-.32 Short Colt, .32 Long Colt, .32 Smith & Wesson, .32 Smith & Wesson Long, .32-20 Winchester, .38 Smith & Wesson, .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, .45 Colt (or commonly called .45 Long Colt)
NOTE: The term ".38 Special" is not used; this requires clarification
c. Cannot be "Antique" if made in 1898 or LATER
ANY other case, you need an RPAL.
I hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
bp revolvers

basically if they are old production-pre 1898 and percussion cap ignition you are good to go. most percussion manuf ended about 1873 and it's only with the early cartridge pieces you get into the convoluted mess we have to work with. keep it simple and find a remington new army in .44 cal and go shooting. they are tough as dirt and not horrendously expensive yet. good ones can still be found at less than 1000- and they will not go down in value.
 
Thats what I thought but I went through the checkout of a well known canadian online retailer with an .36 cal army reproduction cap and ball revolver and it just asked for the regular pal! I didnt finish buying it because I thought it was wrong!
 
Back
Top Bottom