I finally took my Pietta .44 1851 Yank revolver to the range and shot 100 rounds through it. The problem is the fouling gummed up the trigger works to the point that I had to give up shooting for the day. I am using 18 grains of Jim Shockey's Yukon Gold with a .44 ball. After a shot if I looked down the barrel from the chamber end there is a lot of soot (black particles) from the muzzle back about 1/3 the length of the barrel. I am starting to think that I am using too much powder and the unused powder is burning at the end of the barrel.
I would like to try a lighter charge of powder but need to make up the extra space in the chamber.with something. I have heard that this space can be made up with oat meal or corn meal, has anyone used either of these materials or have suggestions for better filler? I am going to need a least 1/4 inch of filler in order to have the ball far enough forward that I won't have to use huge amounts of lard to prevent chain fires. Here is a rather blurry picture of my gun....thanks for the help with this.
I would like to try a lighter charge of powder but need to make up the extra space in the chamber.with something. I have heard that this space can be made up with oat meal or corn meal, has anyone used either of these materials or have suggestions for better filler? I am going to need a least 1/4 inch of filler in order to have the ball far enough forward that I won't have to use huge amounts of lard to prevent chain fires. Here is a rather blurry picture of my gun....thanks for the help with this.


















































