Black powder substitutes in a flintlock?

Horseman1977

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Southern Alberta
I just bought a 54 cal Lyman Great Plains flintlock and they sold me some Triple 7 powder. I asked if it would work and they said it would, but I am finding out now by reading on some forums that it won't work. Anyone ever tried it or know if it will light with a flintlock?
 
The best thing for flintlocks is old fashioned black powder. I get hang fires with musket caps, so I can only see this getting worse for a flintlock...that's even if the powder lights reliably. Don't discount the T7, as you can you if if you have a starter charge of black powder (say 10 grains or so) in the barrel first. T7 will be ineffective for the ignition pan charge though.
 
I've had a lot of hangfire/misfires with couple of sidelocks, never mind a flinchlock. I had so many problems that I finally tried real Black Powder (BP) and will never go back. Not 1, nill,zip, misfire/hangfires with BP. Now having said that, we've used Pyrodex (RS,777,P) with complete success and great accuracy in a good number if inlines. Perhaps others have had better success than me.
 
The best thing for flintlocks is old fashioned black powder. I get hang fires with musket caps, so I can only see this getting worse for a flintlock...that's even if the powder lights reliably. Don't discount the T7, as you can you if if you have a starter charge of black powder (say 10 grains or so) in the barrel first. T7 will be ineffective for the ignition pan charge though.

This ^^^.
 
It does work, I tried it in my Tennessy rifle however it is not the best in the flash pan, it will fail to ignite 1 out of 4. Use ffff for ignition
 
Back
Top Bottom