Black Powder

Elwood Epps normally carries GOEX. Bit of a drive for you, and I don't know what's involved to ship. (I shutter) I'm also ignorant as to what is involved bringing it across an international border, but I shutter at that thought too.

Customs: "Anything to declare?" Gunnut: "Yea, I'm told I can have 8 lbs of Black powder, so that's what I've got. 8lbs." Customs: " I'm sorry, what did you say you have!?" {as he or she reaches for the panic button that causes the mobilization of bomb/anti terrorism squad that have been waiting, just waiting for such an alarm.} Sounds like a long day for you if you ask me.
 
There is no problem with Canada Border Services. You are allowed to bring 8 kg per person across, no problem. I have done it. No problem. The problem is in the US before you get to the border. If the local fuzz, or worse yet, Homeland Security, stop you, and find your powder stash, you are considered a foreign national in possession of explosives. I have never been stopped, and don't know first hand of anyone who has, but I can guarantee you that the outcome will be unpleasant. At the very least, you will not be able to cross the border into the US for a very long time. That includes flying to points south, like Mexico, for example, if you have to fly over US air space. It can seriously impact your life for many years. Don't do it.
A better option, is to check out gun shows. I stocked up last winter at the Brandon show, and I know of others who do the same at other shows. Try contacting dealers to see if they happen to have a presence at your local show. Another possibility is gun clubs. I have heard of small local clubs who bulk buy for their members. Please don't get caught in the US with powder or ammo.
Glen
 
It's illegal to export it from the USA without the proper paperwork, which is prohibitive/PITA/expensive for an individual. But Canada customs won't mind.
 
The Home Land Security people even show up just before the border crossing in Point Roberts.

They were always dressed in dark coveralls.
 
Rusty wood trading will ship it to you and I bought for a group of us and split the (substantial) shipping fee. It is pretty much the same for 1lb as it is for 15Lb. Otherwise gunshows are a great option
 
You could also try your local blasting company. They should be able to get it for your. some even carry all the various grain formulations (1f,2f,3f,4f, cannon) specifically for us shooting folks. though you may have to buy it in bulk. Which means 25 lbs. in a plastic bag that you'll have to put in cans for long term storage. Preferably tin ones.
 
There's no "typically in-stock" source but you can call Ottawa Shooting Supply (613-836-4504) and see if they can get some (they do carry it if you ask/pre-order) but it's hit/miss with them.

The only two solid sources I have found in southern Ontario are Shooter Choice (Waterloo) and Epps (Orillia) so do my "yearly stock up" if I end up near either.

Cabela's WILL ship it anywhere in Canada and they almost always have it in stock BUT it's 40 bucks/pound, plus shipping, plus 30 bucks Hazmat - so if you are only looking for a pound or two it's uber-expensive.

Unless you are absolutely set on real black, particularly if you are moving to the rock, either buy a case and take it with you (by the case the haz/shipping fees get spread thin) or shoot Pyrodex (any Crappy tire can/will bring in Pyrodex if you ask - it has a normal corporate number and there is no special shipping charges for the store).

I shoot Goex 3F regularly but always have a bottle of Pyrodex P on hand just in case.
 
though you may have to buy it in bulk. Which means 25 lbs. in a plastic bag that you'll have to put in cans for long term storage. Preferably tin ones.

The military interpretation group I belong to recently (2 weeks ago) replenished our powder reserves.

After some research, we ended up ordering from:

Hummason Manufacturing Ltd.
www.hummason.com/
Hours of Operation: Monday–Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
Manufactures of Leadshot.
They sell Shooting and Reloading Supplies.
623 Trinity Rd, Ancaster, ON L9G 4X1
(905) 648-3430

We ordered 15 lbs of FF and 15 lbs of FFF = $ 721 (includes taxes) and $140 for shipping to Manitoba.

They came in individual 1 lb black plastic containers.
 
The military interpretation group I belong to recently (2 weeks ago) replenished our powder reserves.

After some research, we ended up ordering from:

Hummason Manufacturing Ltd.
www.hummason.com/
Hours of Operation: Monday–Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
Manufactures of Leadshot.
They sell Shooting and Reloading Supplies.
623 Trinity Rd, Ancaster, ON L9G 4X1
(905) 648-3430

We ordered 15 lbs of FF and 15 lbs of FFF = $ 721 (includes taxes) and $140 for shipping to Manitoba.

They came in individual 1 lb black plastic containers.

As far as I know GOEX is still in tins...who's powder are they selling?
 
thanks all, keep coming with the info, more than me are looking for it. Goex comes in plastic bottles now, go to their site. i buy a pound of pyrodex every time i go to canadian tire in kingston, and usually whatever they have at SFRC when i`m there. i have half a can of Goex, price tag says $15.99. hoping to see some at the Grenville gun show this weekend
 
The military interpretation group I belong to recently (2 weeks ago) replenished our powder reserves.

After some research, we ended up ordering from:

Hummason Manufacturing Ltd.
www.hummason.com/
Hours of Operation: Monday–Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
Manufactures of Leadshot.
They sell Shooting and Reloading Supplies.
623 Trinity Rd, Ancaster, ON L9G 4X1
(905) 648-3430

We ordered 15 lbs of FF and 15 lbs of FFF = $ 721 (includes taxes) and $140 for shipping to Manitoba.

They came in individual 1 lb black plastic containers.

That is actually a good price, all considered. I don't see Goex under $30.00/lb here anymore.
 
...isn't there an issue with static electricity and plastic? I'll stop throwing out my old tins and transfer the powder if that's how it coming now a days.
Static is not an issue, other than it can cause a small amount of powder to stick to the inside of the container. There is zero chance of causing an explosion. Actually, plastic is an excellent choice for storage. I had some Curtis & Harvey powder left over from the '80's, stored in my basement, for at least 25, maybe 30 years. The temp was pretty constant, and so was humidity. It still shoots as good as ever.
 
Back
Top Bottom