Blackhorn 209

thatmikeguy

Regular
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
How many guys here are using blackhorn powder?
I just discovered it and it is amazing.
The fouling is almost non-existant compared to pyrodex.
I fired 11 rounds and could still push the bullet down easily.
 
I've been using BH 209 for almost 5 years now and would never go back to pellets. I have fired over 25 shots in one sitting without cleaning and was still able to seat the sabot like it was the 2nd shot fired. Only problem with 209 is the cost and you only get 10oz in a bottle. I have found it for as low as $32.00 US and we get greased for it up here.
 
YES canadian made. Its is actually a smokeless powder that is made to act like a black powder. That is why some places do not allow its use and others in USA can have it where black powder is prohibited.
It works well in cartridges but needs a HOT spark to light it off. Cap and ball revolvers are a no go there.
 
In my case, I had shot up to 11 rounds without any swabbing in between - tried both CCI and Federal primers that are recommended for use with BH209.

The following groups were shot a while back using CCI primers - TC Superglide 250gr (with the yellow tip) works very well but were quite tight to load without swabbing (rifle is TC Triumph Bone Collector). I have some Federal BOR Lock and Barnes Spitfire TMZ that I intend to try next week.

vCakg9G.png
 
In my case, I had shot up to 11 rounds without any swabbing in between - tried both CCI and Federal primers that are recommended for use with BH209.

The following groups were shot a while back using CCI primers - TC Superglide 250gr (with the yellow tip) works very well but were quite tight to load without swabbing (rifle is TC Triumph Bone Collector). I have some Federal BOR Lock and Barnes Spitfire TMZ that I intend to try next week.

vCakg9G.png

That's looks very good.
 
110 grain of BH209 seems to work well for me too using the SST 250 grain. With 100 grains I got a 1.5" group and with 110 it got a little better. I was running out of day light so my last group was only 2 shots at 7/8" apart.
 
Works really well I use 77-84gr (weighed) with a Barnes 290gr TEZ out of a CVA Accura.

Use either the FED209A or CCI209M shotshell primer for reliable ignition and if possible switch to a Blackhorn 209
compatible breech plug.
 
Back
Top Bottom