Blackhorn 209

Works best with a 209 shot shell primer. Probably will not work with a flintlock.

So far the best powder I have found for M.L. rifles is the original formula black powder.
Swiss seems to be the best and most consistent - and easiest to clean.
I would not shoot pyrodex out of any gun that I wanted to keep as pyrodex seems to leave more corrosive salts that are more difficult to clean with hot water. But that is my opinion.
 
Still expensive for a 10 once bottle. I'll stick with my 90gr T7 loads.



*edit: Just bought a Savage..see ya later black powder or its numerous alternates!!
 
Last edited:
While mentioned in passing, has anybody used it in BP cartridge firearms? My Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 s/b be here in a month and I am slowly getting geared up for PP bullets and I am interested in this as black powder is a pain in the drain for purchase, storage and transfer.
Cheers,
Ricky
 
It is supposed to be the cat's arse for BP cartridge iron and is why I have been researching it...good velocity,low pressure,and some smoke to boot :D
If everything goes according to plan I'll have some next weekend to test.
 
Haven't been able to find any Blackhorn in my neck of the woods, but Hodgdon 777 works extremely well in my Ruger Old Army & my Custom Ruger #1 I built in 45 Sharps. Good velocities, lotsa smoke, easy to clean, & half the cost of Blackhorn... good stuff!
 
It is supposed to be the cat's arse for BP cartridge iron and is why I have been researching it...good velocity,low pressure,and some smoke to boot :D
If everything goes according to plan I'll have some next weekend to test.

Please Let me know how it goes, I'v got acouple .44 cartridge guns that I'm looking for a good performace low pressure BP subsitute for them.
This one is number one on my list so I'm very excited to hear the results.
 
I've used it in BP cartridges. Its not as clean as they say it is but cleaner than some BP substitutes. It leaves a fair amount of black soot behind. I use it primarily for a 56-50 where available cartridge space is at a premium and the slightly hotter burning, compact easily measured 209 is desirable.
 
The biggest downside to BH209 is the price. Having said that, I love the stuff!

I shoot it in 2 cartridges now, 50 Alaskan and 32 Special.

The 50 Alaskan is in a Browning 1886 SRC with a metal buttplate. I desperately needed to develop a low pressure load so I could enjoy shooting the gun, that's when I discovered Blackhorn 209. It did exactly what I wanted it to.

Recently I bought a takedown 1894 in 32 Special. Cast bullets and BH209 make for a low recoiling round, perfect for shooting popcans off of fenceposts.

In both cases my load is barely compressed, milk container wad under the .50 Ak, and gas check for the .32 WS. The smoke is a nice touch when shooting an old lever, it kinda enhances the experience.
 
Yes its expensive, but how did you calculate that ?

1 lb = 16oz

Cabela's (old SIR) sells it for $37.99 a bottle(10oz.) that's $60.78/lb and right now its on sale for $31.99 a bottle ($51.18/ lb) which is a good price for this powder compared to any where else.

Find it HERE!

this is right from Cabelas Canada web site. $59.99/10oz... I divided 59.99 by 10 and multiplied by 16 to get it to a lb price... cross multiplication..

was my math flawed?

here, another way $5.999 per oz... times by 16 oz = 95.984....
 
Back
Top Bottom