Blackpowder gunsmithing in the US?

Ol' Smokey

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Please tell me if this is an out-to-lunch idea ....

I have a Remington rolling block #1 that I picked up cheap years ago.

Externally in rough shape, deep pitting on the barrel, some on the receiver. The bore is rough. No markings evident apart from Remington patent dates on the tang.

So, I'd like to rebarrel it to something fun to shoot like .38-55, and shoot it with blackpowder only. Informal target practice and maybe a deer hunt.

Given the difficulty of ordering barrels from the US, what about shipping the gun (a curio and relic) to a US smith, have them rebarrel, and ship it back (as a curio and relic).

I have asked around and no one has been able to point me to a Canadian solution ...
 
I myself wish we had Canadian smiths that would be at par with the damn Yanks.....But frankly we really dont have a outfit here on par with them.

For example - http://www.whitacresmachineshop.com - I would just frikkin love to send them some of my antiques barrels to have them redone......but with our laws being as obscure as they are.....you MIGHT get your arm back....or it may be denied at customs:mad:


Seems to be a business opportunity for the Canadian with both the skills and the entrepreneurial spirit.....eh??!!;)
 
I myself wish we had Canadian smiths that would be at par with the damn Yanks.....But frankly we really dont have a outfit here on par with them.

For example - http://www.whitacresmachineshop.com - I would just frikkin love to send them some of my antiques barrels to have them redone......but with our laws being as obscure as they are.....you MIGHT get your arm back....or it may be denied at customs:mad:


Seems to be a business opportunity for the Canadian with both the skills and the entrepreneurial spirit.....eh??!!;)

Given that the gun meets both Canadian and US definitions of antique, I suspect that shipping it back and forth might not be an obstacle........
 
I'd suggest getting a barrel from Ron Smith in AB., then find a good gunsmith to chamber and install barrel. If you want some real special RB treatment check out Lonestar Rifles in Texas, they are the RB kings, they make and supply parts, refurbishing, etc.
 
I have a neighbor that livbes by the remington rolling block. He works on them every day. He restores them and rebarrels them he does everything with them. He displays them at at tons of gunshows. If you want his name pm me.
 
Given that the gun meets both Canadian and US definitions of antique, I suspect that shipping it back and forth might not be an obstacle........

Exactly. I've never had a problem getting an antique gun from the US. I am infact thinking of doing this with a High-Wall I have and my only concern is would I get charged Canadian taxes when it comes back?
 
Ideally, I'd like to order a Badger barrel and have someone local install it. Since I cannot order from Badger, this seemed like an alternative.

I am looking onto some of the names suggested by folks in this thread, and hope that I can get an equivalent quality barrel for a similar price, in a similar time frame. I want an experienced gunsmith to the work, as the extractor needs repaired.

I am still considering the US route, though.

Any suggestions for caliber? I have 45-70s, and would like something relatively mild for informal target shooting and hunting for deer.

Nothing too exotic where I would have to lay out big bucks for exotic dies and bullet moulds and rare brass.
 
Your initial choice of .38-55 sounds good. My High Wall is that caliber but I don't want to reload for two different caliber so I will either rebarrel mine or sell it. I'll probably be selling the dies and brass soon if you are interested.
 
38-55 is a nice low recoil cartridge for plinking and fun shooting. I have a trapdoor springfield in 38-55 and use it every year in our local turkey shoot plus loan it to shooters without a gun (for that competition)

cheers mooncoon
 
Another thought, once a new barrel is put on would this need to be declared when it leaves the country and paper work filled out or is it still a straight up antique rifle?
 
Another thought, once a new barrel is put on would this need to be declared when it leaves the country and paper work filled out or is it still a straight up antique rifle?

It would depend on the caliber, wouldn't it? If it exceeded the minimum required caliber, then it should be good to go....... minimum 8.3 mm which works out to something like .32 caliber, I think ......

Any opinions on .40-65? A bit more OOMPH for hunting, perhaps?
 
Back
Top Bottom