Blue Book values?!

braun

Regular
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
Ontario
When I compare completed Gun Broker auctions, asking prices on the EE, Joe Salter, 1898andb-4.com, collector's firearms etc. with the Blue Book values, BB prices seems awfully low for antique handguns. I know we pay a premium up here, but many of these sites are American...What gives?
 
Blue Book values are an average of American values from all over the States. They mean little here. Some antiques, here, are more valueable than they are Stateside. Some Stateside are more valuable there than here. Has to do with supply and demand.
"...Joe Salter..." He doesn't deal in average firearms of any kind. High end stuff only.
 
Our premiums up here pay for the lack of the second amendment... or any firearm / property rights for that matter. Still, it's a small price to pay for something that will NOT be mass confiscated one day (because they'll have to find it first).

As far as Blue Book values go, I have noticed the same thing. I have a recent American-made collector's book which, for example, values the French 1892 8mm Lebel revolver at something like 300$ in an "excellent" condition; well, let me tell you that I have 2 of those and they cost me $1100 and $875 respectively, which was the average price one can expect to pay... and I'd rate mine as being in a "very good" condition, not "excellent" (because excellent = as new).

Bottom line is, someone very knowledgeable should write a book or a list of Canadian antique firearm values (price guide). We could do it right here on CGN, actually... we do have enough knowledgeable members, some of who also sell antiques in the EE section.

:)
 
That's a good idea, maybe a sticky with values averaged out based on what members are willing to share in regards to what they paid for guns in the EE.
 
That's a good idea, maybe a sticky with values averaged out based on what members are willing to share in regards to what they paid for guns in the EE.

Thanks for backing the idea... I just wonder how we would proceed on that. I guess I will start a thread with the guns I've bought and list prices I paid. If everyone does the same, we will have a pretty good guide in no time at all. Here we go...

:)
 
That's a great idea. For people like me, who are new to antiques, it's difficult to know what reasonable prices are. Especially when the tendency on the EE is to barter and then remove the original price when the deal is done...:)
 
I think the blue book values, or whatever book dealers use, on other firearms as well do not reflect Cdn. value. I had a very nice 686 and was told by the book that 450 was top dollar for it. I have not seen any priced that low on the post and my uncle just paid 900 for one with some accessories.
 
No real point.

Just monitor the EE for a few weeks and you'll know what is what.

I've been doing that for a year or so and while I have a pretty good idea of the listed prices for commonly available antique firearms, I don't know what they actually went for; judging by the $500 price drops we sometimes see on the EE, I'm guessing that most sellers are flexible and the final price is negotiated with the buyer!

Also, as 762mm says, some makes/models don't appear with enough regularity to get a good sense of their value.

I'm not complaining about EE prices not matching Blue Book prices; it makes sense that market values differ in Canada. I'm wondering why even on American auction or retail sites the prices aren't anywhere close (markup? overhead?)
 
That's a great idea. For people like me, who are new to antiques, it's difficult to know what reasonable prices are. Especially when the tendency on the EE is to barter and then remove the original price when the deal is done...:)

I agree, it would be nice to see what they sold for. Should make it a rule that the selling price must remain.
 
I agree, it would be nice to see what they sold for. Should make it a rule that the selling price must remain.

If you want to know the sale price, buy the antique. Otherwise it is a private transaction and none of your business.

Forcing people to reveal their private business for idle curiosity is wrong.
 
Sorry I disagree, you are using a public forum to make a sale. Why can't members see what stuff sells for? Why is that wrong?

If you buy a house or a car you research what the going price is don't you?

If you want to know the sale price, buy the antique. Otherwise it is a private transaction and none of your business.

Forcing people to reveal their private business for idle curiosity is wrong.
 
If you buy a house or a car you research what the going price is don't you?

Yes you do but do you think a car dealer is gonna tell you (honestly) what he just sold the last car for? If that was the case there would'nt be an dicker would there.
 
Sorry I disagree, you are using a public forum to make a sale. Why can't members see what stuff sells for? Why is that wrong?

If a person wants to sell something they advertise it for sale. CGN is no different than a newspaper, kijiji, craigslist, etc. They are all privately owned and the listings attract traffic to the site or make people buy the paper. It doesn't entitle the reader to the intimate details of the sale for their curiosity. It is a private transaction.

I would think most things sell within 10-15% of the list price, fast sale-underpriced or undersupply, slow sale-overpriced, bad seller or over supply.
 
If you want to know the sale price, buy the antique. Otherwise it is a private transaction and none of your business.

Forcing people to reveal their private business for idle curiosity is wrong.

I think he means asking price. If you list a gun for $900 and get $800 for it I don't care what was personally paid but I hate it when the asking price is changed to $SPF. I'd at least like an idea of what it went for.
 
I think he means asking price. If you list a gun for $900 and get $800 for it I don't care what was personally paid but I hate it when the asking price is changed to $SPF. I'd at least like an idea of what it went for.

Exactley what I mean:D Some guns get listed and sold within minutes, and with SPF you never even know what they wanted.
 
Back
Top Bottom