Bolt Action .22LR

IMO you would be better served to get the CZ, and for a few bucks more I would look for a Match chamber model. Especially 'used' to keep close to your $750 budget.
I have a CZ-VMTR and a Savage B22-FV (SR is virtually useless on heavy barrels in Can't-ada) and although I have extensively modded my Savage it is WAAAY LES Accurate than the VMTR. Of course, the Savage cost ca 1/3 $$ and it Does still shoot 3/4" groups at 50 with most any ammo, so it's fairly accurate. A 3/4" group is pretty small when considered vs a 10/22 getting 1"+ groups for the same Price.
Used rifles are often a great bargain, IF they are NOT being sold for Accuracy Reasons.
PS - As IDCAY said above, changing barrels is a MINOR issue since most barrels are not easily changed.
All CZs have a CIP chamber, which by SAAMI standards is a match chamber. You pay an extra 100+ for the roll-stamp on the barrel.
 
All CZs have a CIP chamber, which by SAAMI standards is a match chamber. You pay an extra 100+ for the roll-stamp on the barrel.
As a note of reference, not all CIP chambers are the same. CIP specs have the minimum allowable chamber dimensions. That doesn't require or mean that all CIP chambers must have those spec dimensions. A semi-auto CIP rifle may reasonably be expected to have "looser" dimensions than a bolt action repeater, which in turn may be "looser" than a single shot match rifle.

Among other dimensions, the leade angle, for example, is not the same in all chambers that meet CIP requirements. Sporter rifles meeting CIP specs will have a steeper angle closer to 5 degrees, while true match chambers such as those in Bleiker, Walther, FWB, and Anschutz single shot match rifles will have a much shallower leade angle.
 
It’s incredibly addictive to wander down the rabbit hole of accuracy with a .22 as they are cheap & fun to shoot .
Find something with the best trigger , adjustable when possible, stocks can be relieved & actions can be bedded. Some triggers can be replaced some are terrible forever.
 
Thank you for all the input and ideas. I am understanding the experiential nature of discovering both fun guns and the right guns for each person, and to control costs while doing so I can see why so many are recommending exploring used purchases. I am going to explore this - I appreciate the help. I also continue to see the love for CZs and Tikka's, and they are on my get-to (or is to-get?) list for sure.
I've spent the last few days visiting shops, handling options and checking pricing, and I found a deal on a Savage B22 FV-SR that seemed an unbeatable value (to me). The proprietor put together a little package of the rifle, scope rings and a second mag that worked for both of us. I really want to own or have owned a rifle made in Lakefield, so that was a factor in this journey. I recognize it may not quite work for me, or that I may outgrow it in some way, and I'm OK with the experience for dollar value - at least I am today. I hope to see how she shoots soon!
 
Congrats on that purchase ! I suggest you look up YT vids on disassembly and cleaning. In several New rifles I have found 'bits of metal and/or plastic' loose in the action, so 'pre-use' cleaning is my advice. You will understand your rifle better if you do so. Also, there are simple 'mods' that can be easily done, with many threads here and on 'Rimfire Central dot com' (omit spaces) regarding 'improving' the Savage Rimfire action and the 'Accutrigger Safety' system. My First advice is to lubricate any 'friction points' you can find with a Synthetic grease. I use Permatex Synthetic from CanTire as it contains PTFE- ca $17.
Good luck and ENJOY !
 
Back
Top Bottom