Boot pistol?

drslav

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
284   0   0
Location
Kanadastan
I picked this up at the gun show today. I didn't really need it but pice was so tempting. Some type of boot pistol. Lucky enough .45 cal rifle balls with .010 patch seems to fit close enough. So after working on the lock mechanism for few hours I took it out to try. Wasn't sure what powder charge to use so I used .5 cc dipper. Shot nice but balls would bounce off the tree. So since I don't know anything about it is like someone to share all/any info you may have on this. Such as make, age, true calibre, proper powder charge,approximate value, any info will be appreciated.
On end note: this is most fun I had with BP ever. I did too take a lady friend who never shot this type of gun... We both giggled like school girls. Yes I know I have been warned.

photo_zps4cf662f8.jpg

photo_zps68f622d4.jpg
 
Think you... Deal was good I think. I never liked this type of guns but now I'm hooked. Much more fun than my rifle.
Yes the .5 cc I think comes from my 9mm reloading set. I did put a bit extra and was a bigger bang but I don't need to stress it out. It's still fun.
 
your gun looks to have british proof marks. Also many pistols of that size were screw barrels meaning that the barrel unscrewed and you put powder in the breach portion of the receiver, sat a slightly oversize ball on top and screwed the barrel back on. Usually they used fairly light charges and while I have never weighed a charge, I would guess it to be in the range of 5 to 10 grains. Hard to say how that translates into the powder dipper that you are using

cheers mooncoon
 
Thank you MC. I was told that. But I think that's a bit of pain... I did though load it through the front and worked fine. Did they use a patch?... I can translate the grains into CC. Should be easy.
 
Cute and looks like its in great shape. I can imagine its a real hoot to fire too!

I would imagine that 10-15gr of 2f or 3f powder would a good charge which is probably more than what you are using. If a patched .45 feels like a good fit then its probably as good as anything. Not like its a serious target gun - minute of tree trunk is actually pretty good! :)
 
We did hit the tree but I tried to kill a can from Arizona iced tea couldn't hit it. Was about foot to the left at 10 yds. Hehehe. Still fun. Had a 1 foot flame coming out if it. And good puff of smoke. For a tiny gun that it is. I used .5cc FFFG goex. ( thank you for the chart skinny)
photo_zps246b356b.jpg
 
I think for the size it is closer to a pocket pistol and as MC commented certainly looks British made. Condition looks to be good and I would estimate value somewhere around 4-450 dlrs. If it were Belgian deduct about 150-. For shooting I would suggest about 15 grns fffg. If it is a screw barrel and you can get it apart there will be a recess at the breech for the exact powder charge as well as the concave base to set the ball in. As the ball was slightly oversize there was no need for a patch. Would guess it uses a #10 cap as well. Cheers
 
5.5 inch's long, smooth bore, .35 cal and has killed a hog[just to see if it could]. Fun to take to the range and bet the guys who shoot competition as this thing humbles them. I think all women should still pack a muff gun.:HR:

smokepoles017.jpg


smokepoles014.jpg
 
Mooncoon and I fired my Great Uncle's vest pocket Chance and Sons a few years back.
IIRC mine took 12 grains in the breach, a .490 ball and no patch.
Lots of fun it it shot VERY low POI at 12 yards or so!!
Of course, that was what needed at "playing card table range"!!
This none has a trap door trigger...
a022c92e.jpg

Cat
 
5.5 inch's long, smooth bore, .35 cal and has killed a hog[just to see if it could]. Fun to take to the range and bet the guys who shoot competition as this thing humbles them. I think all women should still pack a muff gun.:HR:

smokepoles017.jpg

Its almost the same as mine! could be same maker?
 
Mooncoon and I fired my Great Uncle's vest pocket Chance and Sons a few years back.
IIRC mine took 12 grains in the breach, a .490 ball and no patch.
Lots of fun it it shot VERY low POI at 12 yards or so!!
Of course, that was what needed at "playing card table range"!!
This none has a trap door trigger...
a022c92e.jpg
Cat

Sweet gun. I have to say that mine wouldn't take 451 ball so i put 440 i use in my rifle but was too loose by itself so i tried .015 patch. Was too thick so I used .010 patch still bit tight but it works. Is there any other popular size ball or patch i can try? I am happy i didn't have too look for some weird size ball. .440 is easy to get.
Its definitely too inaccurate to hit anything passed 15 feet but still fun as hell cause it goes boom...
 
The British muffs have better fit and finish and that fine checkering is nice. I was gathering brass barrel things at one time. These are all Belgian guns tho. A .44, .45, and a .48 cal. I haven't fired a real load with them, wondering how good the brass is still. They look OK for light loads. Maybe this summer I'll try them out, put on a welding glove.
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/69/p1040422b.jpg]
 
It could be. Has yours got numbers on the butt like these.
The markings on the bottom are much the same, eh.

If they were made by the same person then yours must be worth $15,000+ to then.

No numbers on mine. hehehe.. i wish it was worth 15k. i'd be rich.
 
Back
Top Bottom