I'm building a small brass blackpowder cannon, approx 10" long. I am following safe cannon design guidelines, i.e. breech is at least as thick as the bore all around. But I am not familiar with how big to make the bore compared to the projectile. Mainly I will use it for salute charges, not projectiles, but I want it to be capable of shooting a projectile if I get the opportunity to do so.
Let's assume I make the bore 0.375" diameter because that matches the scale of the cannon.
1) Would there be any problem shooting 0.350" lead/steel balls out of that size bore? I would use a patch or two to thicken the ball up so that it seals against the sides.
2) or ...Would it be better to load the powder, then a wad, then drop in any size ball that is smaller than the bore? Like a 0.3125" (5/16") steel slingshot ball.
I would think method #1 is better because the ball can't roll out by gravity, but then there is the chance for overpressure and/or getting a ball permanently stuck if there is a misfire.
Appreciate any guidance... thanks
Let's assume I make the bore 0.375" diameter because that matches the scale of the cannon.
1) Would there be any problem shooting 0.350" lead/steel balls out of that size bore? I would use a patch or two to thicken the ball up so that it seals against the sides.
2) or ...Would it be better to load the powder, then a wad, then drop in any size ball that is smaller than the bore? Like a 0.3125" (5/16") steel slingshot ball.
I would think method #1 is better because the ball can't roll out by gravity, but then there is the chance for overpressure and/or getting a ball permanently stuck if there is a misfire.
Appreciate any guidance... thanks


















































