Bore Button patched on new army revolvers?

CRAZYLOCH

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 98.3%
57   1   0
Location
604 Canuckistan
I just got a New Army (pietta) in 44, I have head about these pre lubricated "buttons" patched which one can use after the powder and before the ball. (Like a thick lubricated Patch" looks like a small cotton button.
543334.jpg


This is suppose to seal the powder and one no longer needs to "crisco the cylinder". Is this OK to use as an alternative?

this is my FIRST BP revolver so any info would be great.

TY
 
I am fairly new to BP revolvers (6 months) and have not used pre-lubed wads over the powder but as long as they aren't dripping wet they should help fill the chamber. The type of powder I am using (Hodgdon Triple Seven FFFG) is quite powerful and so I use a cornmeal filler to fill the chamber then seat the ball. I have a .36 1851 Colt Navy repro and use 10 grains of 777. This has been working good for me, fairly accurate and lots of smoke.
There is some debate about what causes chainfires, ignition from the front or from the exposed nipples after the caps come off after recoil. I prefer not to take ANY chances so I always check all caps after every shot and use grease on the front of the chamber. Sometimes I only load one chamber and shoot it.. no chance of a chainfire.
 
i've used them and was happy with the results and never had a chain fire with them.
Chain fires can be caused from either end, I think that is why there is confusion. I've had them from ignition from the front, not at the cap end, and these wads solved my problems.

The only down side I see is the cost of them. Not cheap for what they are.

FishHog
 
Back
Top Bottom