Bouncing the rod?

Ed Smurf

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
KZ Quebec
When I load my muzzleloader I was told that if you get a good bounce at the end you're good to go. Now someone tells me it is dangerous as the 777 could go off from the compression....fact or fiction?
 
Probably fiction. I did a quick "Yahoo" search on "777 powder/compression" and got a bunch of hits. All say to use light compression for 777.

I looked at Hodgdon's website and they say "heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation...". But they don't say why.

The "bouncing" of the ramrod came from using real black powder.
 
I doubt that bouncing the rod will detonate the powder but I also feel that it is a poor way to confirm that the ball is all the way down. I don't know about 777 but with black powder, as fouling builds up, the ball seats farther out if you are only bouncing the rod. I think a mark on the rod to confirm the ball is all the way seated is a far better way of confirm the ball is seated

cheers mooncoon
 
In addition to being a poor way to judge if the ball is seated, it is just a poor way to seat the ball in general, for a number of other reasons. Firstly, with a soft lead ball, bouncing the rod can deform the ball. More importantly, accuracy wise, consistent pressure when seating the ball is one of the many variables in accuracy, according to several world class LRML shooters. Over-compressing the powder can cause higher pressures in the chamber. Oh, all of the above refers to actual black powder, now that I think about it. I don't know sh#t about 777....
As always, YMMV
 
To ensure I'm seated I use a landmark on my hand (ie third finger down) in relation to the end of the rod in the bore - or you could mark the rod...but marking the rod only works if you never change loads. I don't shoot 777 but the principle would be the same.

I second that bouncing the rod isn't 100% and so I always double check using the above method. Takes a split second to glance down.
 
Depends on how you bounce. I load a TC Patriot pistol by seating the charge lightly, then dropping a barrel length steel rod to tamp down. The falling rod gives exactly the same compression shot after shot. Of course dropping a 42" metal rod might produce a bit too much force and squash your ball..
 
Bouncing the rod will mash the front of the ball but not confirm you have seated it on the powder - you need a mark on the rod, or some equivalent, to confirm that. Consistent moderate pressure on the powder contributes to consistent accuracy whereas high pressure doesn't. About 10 lb or so will do it, depending on how tight the patch & ball combo fits, how much fouling is in the bore and how slippery the lube is. It was recommended practice to bounce the ramrod on the over-powder wad when loading a shotgun, before dropping in the shot charge and firmly seating an over-shot wad but never for a rifle loaded with a patched round ball.
 
Back
Top Bottom