BP frames

budman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
S.W Bantario
I am trying to understand frames,namely. Colt SAA frames.
I read somewhere here in the forum of changing the calibers.
Are the frames the same for .38 and 44sp? I don't want to
damage anything,but because 44-40 is restricted,I was looking
at 44sp:cool:
 
If you are referring only to pre-1898 frames, there are two basic types. Earlier frames had a screw to retain the cylinder pin, the later (so-called smokeless) frame used a lateral plunger. All centerfire calibers used the same sized frame. There is also a flat top target version, but that isn't relevant to your question.
So, a .44 Special/Russian cylinder can be fitted to a .44-40 revolver.
 
So if I bought a .38 Colt SAA,I could have installed a barrel and cylinder to 44sp.
This would not damage the frame?

About the 44-40,if I had only the 44sp cylinder,it would be regarded as an antique
and not a restricted? I'm not sure I am following you on that one.
 
If the frame is pre-1898, and the caliber is not one on the "not antique" list, the revolver qualifies as antique. But the frame must have been made prior to 1898.
 
I was thinking aloud,as I see some beautiful guns in the EE.
But the 44-40 is on the no go list,same as the 38 Winchester
center fire (38-40).
They are all in the antique date range,just the caliber put them
out of reach.
 
I'm not 100% sure whether just changing the cylinder would make the 44-40 antique. Perhaps restamp the barrel? Also you can't just change the cylinder, the timing would need to be tuned. But those guns would work for a caliber swap.
 
Back
Top Bottom