Where do you guys get your BP supplies? I plan on getting an 1861 Navy, but I'm not sure where to buy the supplies. I'm already set up to cast balls, but I'm not sure what the best place is for wads, caps and any other BP accessories.
I've never bothered with lube wads either. I've been lubing and sealing the balls with a drop of Canola oil over the ball so it wicks around the "V" between the chamber and the ball. This has always kept the fouling good and soft and easily cleaned away at the end of the day. And with very little or no leading..... at least none that I've ever seen other than the occasional fleck or two of shiny marks on the cleaning patches.
I don't use filler either. But then I'm loading and shooting in Frontiersman cowboy action shooting.
Worth mentioning that when I shot full loads in an Italian navy colt, the recoil crushed the barrel key and I had to make a new one. The key is relatively soft with a groove down the center for the head of the retaining screw. I also had a replica Walker Colt for a while but could not go more than two cylinders without washing the fouling from the cylinder pin or the gun would seize up. The only way to get it apart was to put it muzzle down in a bucket of water for 5 minutes to soften the fouling. Water was only up as far as the trigger. I never had that problem with the Colt Navy
cheers mooncoon
I shoot the walker. My plinking load is 40gr and iv gone up to the 60gr. But as said before 60grs batters the wedge pretty hard. I shoot a lot of CnB were r u shooting in the calgary area
As well my trick to keep the fowling down is pure crisco in each camber and crisco on the arbour. Once the gun starts to stiffen knock the wedge out clean arbour and applie fresh crisco. I find 24 to 30 shoots i break quick clean and go again
Can you remember what were you using for a load in your Walker? I am just in the process of picking up a new Uberti. I sure hope it doesn't foul as bad as yours did.
The gun was made by Armi San Marco and while I don't remember the powder charge, it was not spectacularly heavy; probably around 30 - 35 gr of 3F. I liberally lubed the cylinder pin with grease and I still don't understand why it fouled so quickly while my Italian Colt Navy did not.
cheers mooncoon
Thanks Mooncoon, I will start at 30 gr. BCriders tips on Crisco, etc, well found. Great info from all....
Thanks Mooncoon, I will start at 30 gr. BCriders tips on Crisco, etc, well found. Great info from all....
Your starting load needs to be based on the gun caliber. And in particular since you mentioned that you're looking at .36 caliber as your first BP revolver. I'm not sure it would be even possible to use 30grns and still seat the ball correctly. But in any event it would be an overcharge for a .36 for sure. You need to start with more like 15 as Mooncoon suggests above and work up to find the sweet spot for accuracy. Heck, I know of some with brass frame guns that started at 10 grains with a little corn meal filler over top to space the ball near to the front face and found that this provided a very accurate load. Not a lot of smoke or kick mind you....
In my case 30 grains in the Uberti Remingtons represents pretty much a minimum for ME since with 30gns and no filler the ball seats deeply and nearly at the limit of the travel of the built in ram. So I can't shoot much less than 30 even if I wanted to without opting to use some sort of filler or grease cookie or grease wad behind the ball.



























