BP Newbie rediscovers!

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
I think I finally found the load that works fine in my traditional style caplock RB shooter in .50 caliber.

One hundred grains of FFFG under a .495 ball, gives me a load capable of shooting a target the size of a rabbit at 50 meters.
This also will keep just inside the vitals of an average sized WT deer at 100 meters.

That's my self imposed outer limit with these full buckhorn sights.
 
For our trail walk shooting I found almost exactly the same results with a T/C using a .490 R/B on a 15 thou greased patch over 55 grains of fffg. For hunting you definitely need the extra wallop but target shooting I've found lighter is better. Have a friend that uses about 30 grains and also gets similar results. Obviously over greater distance we fall off badly but we only have 1 target at 160 yds which does get the powder level bumped up- in my case to 95 grains. Cheers
 
I shot a 2/3 sized buffalo clanger at 185 yards with a friend's .54 Uberti Hawken many years ago. He said, "just hold the top of the hump.". Bang! Clang! It was satisfying, I must say.
 
Back
Top Bottom