BP patches - Home made?

I've been burning charcoal for over 30 years. Never bought a single patch. I always used a good, tight weave 100% cotton (linen works too). Just make sure there is 0 polyester or other synthetic. Pillow ticking is the best, and can usually be found in most good fabric stores. You can also get it on FleaBay. As far as cutting, why not go the same way the old guys did it - cut the ticking in strips of the correct width, place it over the muzzle, start your ball and cut the cloth. If you really want to go traditional, you can even get a patch knife, but any good, sharp pocket knife works great. I always got sufficient accuracy to consistently pop grouse in the head out to 20 yards. Worked well enough for settlers and mountain men.
 
As stated, anything works as long as it's 100% cotton & a nice tight weave - and the right thickness.

First shot or two just have a look at the fired patch. If there's (a) hole(s) burned through it then you need a tighter weave.

As others have said, a round patch isn't even needed. For a trail walk, I usually just cut 'em off at the muzzle with a sharp knife.

Also noted above, a handy way to cut round patches in volume is using an old round ball bearing (ie from a mill) and a round steel tube.

Happy shootin'
 
Awhile back, I cut up about 3 yards of twill fabric for wiping patches. Later I decided I should have washed them first, as they were not very absorbent. So, I put them in a couple of mesh bags, and in the laundry they went with a load of my clothes. I think the patches were about 3/4 the size they had been before, the rest were loose threads. I won't do that again!
 
Awhile back, I cut up about 3 yards of twill fabric for wiping patches. Later I decided I should have washed them first, as they were not very absorbent. So, I put them in a couple of mesh bags, and in the laundry they went with a load of my clothes. I think the patches were about 3/4 the size they had been before, the rest were loose threads. I won't do that again!

Hmmmmm. You might have the makins for some pretty potent char there.
Gotta look at the bright side;)
 
homemade patch

I dont bother. I order uncut .018 thou bulk pillow ticking in sheets 36 inches long and I forget how wide it comes. I cut it in strips 1.5 inches wide or so and coat them with 50/50 lard and bees wax. When I load, the ball is placed on top of the ticking strip and slightly pushed down the barrel with my ball starter. I then use a patch knife to cut the strip off flush with the muzzle, then push the ball the rest of the way down with the starter. U do not need round patches. If U want pretty round patches U can order arch punches from Beutrans Village in Maine. They are a leather tool company and have all sizes. If U do not want to spend the bucks on a arch punch get a piece of galvanized or black pipe of the proper diameter and grind it sharp all the way around the end and use that to cut yur patches. As others have said make sure you have a tight weave fabric. I ordered one for my 54 caliber Hawken to cut over powder wads from felt sheets 20MM fits perfect in my bore.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom