BP substitutes

BrotherRockeye

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
pretty sure we've covered this before but I'm too lazy to try a search... :rolleyes:

anyone use 777 or other BP subs in their old wheel guns?
what's the top pick low pressures and minimal cleanup?

I have a Remington MNA factory cartridge conversion (Rollin White patent) in 44Rem that I'd like to use the full case capacity and that leaves smokeless pretty much out of the mix.

obliged
 
I use 777 just remember not to compress 777 and use smokless lube . I found pyrodex pistol would start areas of old rust up as its corrosive for this reason I don't like pyrodex at all. 777 cleans up easy just seat bullet ttill it just touches the powder no compression and you wil be fine.
 
I use 777 just remember not to compress 777 and use smokless lube . I found pyrodex pistol would start areas of old rust up as its corrosive for this reason I don't like pyrodex at all. 777 cleans up easy just seat bullet ttill it just touches the powder no compression and you wil be fine.

Why not compress 777? I use 60 grains of as opossed to 70 grains BP but

the 777 still gets a little compressed in my 45/70 springfield,is it going to

blow up my trapdoor?

Bob
 
Tactical870, that's really funny. I had ignition problems with Pyrodex in a sidelock, tried black and have'nt had even 1 hang/misfire.
 
Why not compress 777? I use 60 grains of as opossed to 70 grains BP but

the 777 still gets a little compressed in my 45/70 springfield,is it going to

blow up my trapdoor?

Bob

Sorry took me abit to get back Hodgdon recommends not compressing it as it can cause dangerous pressure spikes also read an article in one of the Magazines i think it was guns of the old west can't be sure looked for it and could not find it The article was on using 777 and they stated not to compress and found if they did accuracy was poor because velocity was inconsistent and dangerous pressures could occur . I use it all the time but after reading these warnings I never compressed it again .Just went to the Hodgdon web site they recomend no more compression than .100 but the said its better if the base of the bullet just touches the powder also found reloading DATA for cartriges its on there site with the data for muzzel loaders
 
Last edited:
Tactical870, that's really funny. I had ignition problems with Pyrodex in a sidelock, tried black and have'nt had even 1 hang/misfire.

Yep.... I've still got 777 and shockeys gold here I've never used.... FFG doesn't last long around here though....
 
I have been using Shockey Gold and I never clean my gun after use as recomended by the gun shop I bought it from. Is the 777 the same or should it be cleaned after every shooting session?
 
I've heard, don't believe any of them are non corrosive. Always clean.

Many substitutes are much worse than BP. I've had 777 pellets corrode my stainless MDM muzzleloader in hours before I could get home to clean, while my 16 guage english sxs has now been sitting for a week with the bore still very clean. (I wanted to know how corrosive BP actually is...)
 
Back
Top Bottom