BP substutute for 1851 Navy and value of Safari Arm

COREY

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
269   0   0
Location
Ottawa, Ontario
I apologize in advance if this questions have been asked, but I have not been able to find the answer.

I am looking at a Safari Arms Ltd 1851 Navy replica. It is in very good shape (looks to have maybe been used once or twice).

Two questions:

1) What is one of these worth? The guy is asking $250 plus tax, and I am not sure if it is worth that much.

2) I do not want to use real BP in it; what would you use for a substitute? I have a T/C Omega that I run Triple Seven in, but I have not used any other substitute.

Thanks in advance.
 
I have shoot lots of blackpowder and have had no issues with it exploding, i find there is more problems with substitutes than with real blackpowder

McLean
 
That is fine, but that is not what I am looking for. I do not want true BP in my house; if there is no substitute that works well, I will not buy it.
 
Safari Arms Ltd was an importer that brought Italian guns etc. into Canada look for other maker marks on the gun. Could be a Armi San Marco or Armi San Paolo,as far as price that is a good deal for a gun in very good condition, is it .36 cal or .44???
I have shot Triple Seven in an 1851 .36 cal. and the only problem was with black soot like stuff getting into the trigger works and gumming it up after about 100 shots. This required taking the whole gun apart to clean it which is not a bad thing as springs tend to break which also means it has to come apart. Triple Seven is also more powerful than black powder so cut back about 15% from the recommended black powder load of 18 grains for a .36 cal. and 25 grains for a .44 cal.
 
Thanks for the info. It is a 36 by the way.

I had not thought of using Triple Seven in it, but I do have a bunch of FFFG downstairs. It works well in my Omega (consistent 3 shot groups at 1" @ 100 yards).
 
Pyrodex P measures the same as BP.
Safe and fairly clean to use.
I have used a pair of 1851's in .36cal for 3 seasons in CAS match's.
I found if you lube the actions with break free you can shoot a 6 stage match
with no issues.
I used reduced loads (24grains) with felt wad and cornmeal filler.
777 must be reduced by aprox 20%
or you might rattle all the screws loose on your C&B
 
safari arms revolvers are made by pietta if its in A1 shape and used its not worth the 250$ considering a new one is 309$ before tax Id offer him 200$ no more only for a steel framed one if its brass 150$ otherwise I'd just go buy a new one.
 
Back
Top Bottom