BPRC shooters a little help needed

MTM

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 99.3%
151   1   0
Location
Langley BC
I’m hoping there are some knowledgeable black powder guys in Canada. I’ve been reloading for 35 years, rifle and handgun. Just bought a Pedersoli sharps and am loading black powder. I just have some questions, hoping to get on the right track. Thanks in advance.
 
Great thanks. I’m just starting to load black. I’m using a friends 500 grain grease grooved but have some 535 postells on the way. I’ll get into casting if all else fails. My first loads were the 500 over an ox yoke wad then enough powder to allow some compression on seating. Bullets are just off the lands. I used my small smokeless drop tube (6”) and tapped the case a fair bit. The powder settled pretty well. Do I need a long drop tube? How much compression? Do I need a compression die or plug? Oh, spg lube and a blow tube and it cleaned up easily.
 
The shiloh rifle forum is a goldmine for this.

Depending on the type of overpowder wad you're using, I use the expander plug on a set of RCBS 45-70 cowboy dies for what compression I use, its pressing on a 1/32 gasket wad. Compression for the gun will be determined by your gun, and the powder. You'l have to experiment but you will be limited in the amount of compression you can get away with as I find the lower part of the cartridge will expand to the point it wont chamber in my Shiloh LRE, if I use to much compression.

Dollar store funnel, glued to a thrift store aluminum arrow shaft makes a word class drop tube. Drop tube AND compression can be done, but again you'l still be limited to what the case can take.

Shooting these guns is lots of experimenting. 500 grain govt roundnose is a favourite of mine, lyman 457125. If you need a break from black that bullet combined with 32 grains of Reloder 7 (in 45-70) is vicious accurate.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the great response. The drop tube idea is perfect. I’m shooting a 45/90 I forgot to mention. One last thing, crimp or no crimp? I didn’t crimp my first batch. I’m hoping for 2” or less at 100. Is that realistic?
 
Thank you for the great response. The drop tube idea is perfect. I’m shooting a 45/90 I forgot to mention. One last thing, crimp or no crimp? I didn’t crimp my first batch. I’m hoping for 2” or less at 100. Is that realistic?

That’s totally reasonable. There’s no need to “crimp” in a single shot, you do need to remove any flare if you use a 3 die set for lead bullets. So you set the die to crimp very gently to only remove that flair.

Strongly recommend reading the Paul Mathews series of books on BPCR and even more to lurk the Shiloh forum.
 
Haha Yes forgot the flair. They chambered fine bit it can’t help I’m sure. I’ll fix that next time. Thanks for the link, good reading.
 
I want to get in on this thread too. I got a Pedersoli rolling block 45-70 a few months ago, and I'm working on figuring out loads/cleaning method for it. I have shot a couple groups under 1.5 moa at 200yds, but I couldn't keep it consistent. I'm using the Lyman 457125 bullet. This week I'm trying a new bullet alloy, and 65, 67.5 and 70 gr charges of ffg and 1.5 fg.
 
How are you cleaning? What lube are you using? What over powder wad? What about a grease cookie?

Could go on, there’s a bit that goes into making an accurate BP round so be specific.
 
For my last round of shooting I was using lube made of 40% beeswax, 50% crisco, 5% canola oil, 5% lanolin. I had a 3/32" grease cookie and a .02 milk carton wad with 65gr 1.5 fg Olde Eynsford powder. I was shooting bullets that were 50/50 wheelweights/pure lead. For my next shooting I cast 20-1 lead/tin bullets, and bought some SPG lube to compare to mine. I also got some .06 veg fiber wads to see if that will help. I think I'm going out on Sunday if it stops raining, so we'll see how it goes. I'm testing Goex ffg vs Olde Eynsford 1.5fg. I have a can of Swiss 1.5 fg, but at $49 a lb I want to try getting the cheaper powder to shoot better.
 
Oh and for cleaning I was running a patch damp with 10-1 water/ballistol down the barrel. I don't know if it is better to shoot from a damp bore, or one that is dried with another patch.
 
I personally don’t think the grease cookies required with this combo especially since it sound like your cleaning between shots. Consider omitting it, bump the charge to 68 (I actually use fffg) with the veg wad. I use a similar combo with goex red can that gives me good results.

Winchester case, federal LR primer, drop tube and compressed with a 1/32 wad made from flexitallic gasket material. Pan lubed with the beeswax and oil mixture, I’ve given up on sizing completely.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom