Brace of SXS Pistols~~~HOWDAH~~~

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
Sequentially numbered
Bore measures .750 or 11 gauge (coated with grease-mostly dry now)
Barrels 10"
Weight 2 3/4 lbs each
Belgian Proof Marked
Nicely finished, fine checkering and brass cap holders
Appear to be in original finish
As found and uncleaned by me (aggressive cleaning to barrels)
No box--No history :(
They are a handful to hold :)





brace%20of%20pistols-1.jpg
☺
brace%20of%20pistols-2.jpg
☺
brace%20of%20pistols-6.jpg
☺
brace%20of%20pistols-3.jpg
☺
brace%20of%20pistols-4.jpg
☺
Pistols-sxs%20017.jpg
☺
H1.jpg
 
Last edited:
I would almost kill for one of those (or at least I would MAIM). They look awesome. What a conversation piece they are. Congrats. Are they able to be shot or strictly "looky-loo's" ??
 
"What is to go in the grip? Patches, caps? And how are they not Howda pistols? (I thought "Howda" was a style {like 1911} rather than an actual maker)"


Percussion caps are stored in the grip


☺☺Possibly you are right about them being Howdah Pistols -- any other opinions ???☺☺
 
Last edited:
it seemed to me that the Wikipedia description partially contradicted itself. It began by saying the pistols were made for protection against lions and tigers but by the end of the article said that howdah pistols were replaced by more practical guns such as the 455 Webley revolvers. I would not consider the 455 Webley to be of much use against a lion or tiger. The trade off comes with the question of how effective were the original howdah pistols to start with. The unquestioned guns that I have seen were rifled 58 caliber percussion and with those in mind, my impression is that they probably were not very effective unless loaded with a heavy charge of powder; say 60 or more grains of 3F powder. I remember pressing the muzzle of a 58 cal pocket pistol against a piece of 2x2" cedar and firing it. With 30 grains of powder, the ball only penetrated 1/2 ball deep and stuck there with half of the ball outside the wood. Howdah pistols had longer barrels that my pocket pistol but I wonder how heavy a load could they shoot without simply blowing unburnt powder out of the barrel

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom