Hi folks,
Just getting into cannons ( cannoning ? ) and I'm wondering what's the best brand and type of black powder for my new golf ball cannon ?
I thought I'd just go to my local gun store and get some, turns out that due to shipping costs, the closest places to get black powder are 300 and 400 km's away.
Cabela's wanted an extra $127.50 to ship me 2 lbs.
So it looks like a road trip is in my future.
After doing a bit of research, there seems to be some confussion ( on my part ) eg. real black powder vs pyrodex vs Goex vs all the other brands... some folks say this and that aren't "real" black powder, " 100 grains of this brand doesn't equal 100 grains of that brand " and so on.
Also what grade would be best to use ? I have some mini cannons and am using Pyrodex P ( fffg equivelant), seems to work fine. But I see many different grades and just want to use the one that's best for my purpose.
The cannon has a 16 1/2" barrel and I'm told 60 grains of black powder works well.
And the last question, since it's a golf ball cannon and it isn't going to be used for anything more than a fun, loud, cool toy...do I care what powder to use ? Should I just experiment with the cheapest stuff starting with a light load and moving up until desired results are reached ?
Thanks for your thoughts folks
Just getting into cannons ( cannoning ? ) and I'm wondering what's the best brand and type of black powder for my new golf ball cannon ?
I thought I'd just go to my local gun store and get some, turns out that due to shipping costs, the closest places to get black powder are 300 and 400 km's away.
Cabela's wanted an extra $127.50 to ship me 2 lbs.
After doing a bit of research, there seems to be some confussion ( on my part ) eg. real black powder vs pyrodex vs Goex vs all the other brands... some folks say this and that aren't "real" black powder, " 100 grains of this brand doesn't equal 100 grains of that brand " and so on.
Also what grade would be best to use ? I have some mini cannons and am using Pyrodex P ( fffg equivelant), seems to work fine. But I see many different grades and just want to use the one that's best for my purpose.
The cannon has a 16 1/2" barrel and I'm told 60 grains of black powder works well.
And the last question, since it's a golf ball cannon and it isn't going to be used for anything more than a fun, loud, cool toy...do I care what powder to use ? Should I just experiment with the cheapest stuff starting with a light load and moving up until desired results are reached ?
Thanks for your thoughts folks


















































