Branding Squirrels

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
I am in the midst of branding squirrels on pieces of wood for our club (Nanaimo) turkey shoot this weekend. (we use them as .22 targets). It is a little known fact that the Squirrel Peanut Butter Co was once in the cattle business and used the squirrel brand to identify their cows. At least that is what the fellow told me when he sold me the brand. :>) :>)

To put some muzzle loading content on it; we primarily use the target for squirrel shoots with muzzle loading rifles under .40 caliber

cheers mooncoon

nJkMV4j.jpg


l3TronT.jpg


qzA550H.jpg
 
Wow...thought you were starting a squirrel ranch from the thread title. Have to say I'm a little disappointed.
 
Do you do the splitting a round ball on a double bit axe shtick?

I actually won a prize trying that many moons ago. Great fun:)

M
 
Do you do the splitting a round ball on a double bit axe shtick?
I actually won a prize trying that many moons ago. Great fun:)

Some of the rendezvous have an axe split. We have the axe set up but haven't used it for a few years. Originally clubs put clay pigeons on either side of the axe but many times the ball split but missed the pigeons. Now we put a square of pulp wrapper or cardboard or similar on either side of the axe and if the ball is split even a tiny shaving, you can see it. I definitely prefer that target to the obnoxious card cut. Rule of thumb is that if you can see the card you are to one side of where you should be

cheers mooncoon
 
Tradecard%20for%20Wiedemann%20Beer-275.jpg


I been a squirrelpoke for twenty odd years. Got peanut butter in my veins. Own a fine selection of very petite lariats and about a hundred scars on each hand from bites and scratches.

Worstest thing is brandin' time. Little buggers fight you, and I dunno how many times I've burned my hand on the iron. 'Bout the size of a toothpick. Gotta reach right into the fire for it.

Lost a whole herd once. You try to keep them clear of trees, but that ain't always easy. And once they're up there, you have a dickens of a time gettin' 'em out again. We gave up after four days. "Hell with it, boys" says the lead hand. "They ain't comin' down, and I ain't goin' up". We all agreed and went to town and got drunk instead.

Every big drive you're bound to lose a few dozen to owls, cats, and bird feeders. That's frustratin'. It ain't a line of work for city folk. But on them nights when the moon is up, and the herd is softly chitterin' away in contentment, I reckon I wouldn't want to be doin' nothin' else....
 
I been a squirrelpoke for twenty odd years. Got peanut butter in my veins. Own a fine selection of very petite lariats and about a hundred scars on each hand from bites and scratches.

Worstest thing is brandin' time. Little buggers fight you, and I dunno how many times I've burned my hand on the iron. 'Bout the size of a toothpick. Gotta reach right into the fire for it.

Lost a whole herd once. You try to keep them clear of trees, but that ain't always easy. And once they're up there, you have a dickens of a time gettin' 'em out again. We gave up after four days. "Hell with it, boys" says the lead hand. "They ain't comin' down, and I ain't goin' up". We all agreed and went to town and got drunk instead.

Every big drive you're bound to lose a few dozen to owls, cats, and bird feeders. That's frustratin'. It ain't a line of work for city folk. But on them nights when the moon is up, and the herd is softly chitterin' away in contentment, I reckon I wouldn't want to be doin' nothin' else....

Made my day, thanks :)
 
Tradecard%20for%20Wiedemann%20Beer-275.jpg


I been a squirrelpoke for twenty odd years. Got peanut butter in my veins. Own a fine selection of very petite lariats and about a hundred scars on each hand from bites and scratches.

Worstest thing is brandin' time. Little buggers fight you, and I dunno how many times I've burned my hand on the iron. 'Bout the size of a toothpick. Gotta reach right into the fire for it.

Lost a whole herd once. You try to keep them clear of trees, but that ain't always easy. And once they're up there, you have a dickens of a time gettin' 'em out again. We gave up after four days. "Hell with it, boys" says the lead hand. "They ain't comin' down, and I ain't goin' up". We all agreed and went to town and got drunk instead.

Every big drive you're bound to lose a few dozen to owls, cats, and bird feeders. That's frustratin'. It ain't a line of work for city folk. But on them nights when the moon is up, and the herd is softly chitterin' away in contentment, I reckon I wouldn't want to be doin' nothin' else....

This put a smile on my face:)
 
Back
Top Bottom