Brass cannons safe?

Dsiwy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Question for you all, are brass mini cannons safe to fire?

My dad built one back in CFB Borden on his wpns tech course in the 70s. He said he fired it with steel ball bearings before (FYI I will not be using steel ball bearings lol) I want to know if shooting lead round ball is a good idea or stick with blank charges only?
 
there are two issues; first is "can model cannons that are safe to shoot, be built from brass?" and the answer is yes. The second question is "is your personal cannon safe to shoot ?" and without seeing photos of it and some idea of its dimensions, I don't think we can give an informed answer.

I think part of the answer hinges on barrel thickness and also how close to the breach does the bore extend.

cheers mooncoon
 
Are you making your own cannon or are you looking to shoot your Dad's project cannon? It sounds like you want to shoot his cannon but we should be sure from the start.

Do you know what sort of charge he used for it when shooting the steel balls? These answers along with some dimensions as suggested by mooncoon would better help us to help you.
 
Question for you all, are brass mini cannons safe to fire?

My dad built one back in CFB Borden on his wpns tech course in the 70s. He said he fired it with steel ball bearings before (FYI I will not be using steel ball bearings lol) I want to know if shooting lead round ball is a good idea or stick with blank charges only?

If it is made to the standard pattern that the school has, it is safe with blanks. I have shot them for years before artillery mess dinners with blanks. Take to a gunsmith for advice if he has any or find a retired weapons tech. we have shot other things on top of blank charges before the government ruined fun in army during the 90s. Broken sherry glasses, collar dogs, pens, other stolen personal items but that was after the Port decanters were emptied.........
 
My dad made it to the RCEME Wpns school specs, I was just not sure if it was intended to shoot live ball. My main question, is brass a safe material to build a cannon out of.

I will try to get a pic, from what I remember the barrel is very thick. I don't think the average gunsmith would have any more knowledge about brass cannons than me lol. My only worry is the effect of pressure to the brass over time.


Problem with asking old Wpns Techs is they did dangerous stuff all the time without any cares lol.
 
Last edited:
My dad made it to the RCEME Wpns school specs, I was just not sure if it was intended to shoot live ball. My main question, is brass a safe material to build a cannon out of.

I will try to get a pic, from what I remember the barrel is very thick. I don't think the average gunsmith would have any more knowledge about brass cannons than me lol. My only worry is the effect of pressure to the brass over time.


Problem with asking old Wpns Techs is they did dangerous stuff all the time without any cares lol.


I'd just fire it the first few times from cover and see if it holds together. I'm making a 1/2" bore steel one right now as I have some Pyrodex I want to use up. Double charge double projectile is the way I test (proof) stuff but that's just me, lol.
 
I took it out today and start with 15gr of fffg and worked up to 40gr fffg with .454 RB with two cotton patches.

Made a good boom and sent that ball flying!

Might work up too 60gr fffg, the cannon recoiled back in the sand about 6 inches.




IMG_0686_zpsafmpfaac.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom