Breech cleaning Martini Henry's?

budman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
S.W Bantario
I have been trying to get a brush into the breech
area to scrub it, but the back of the receiver is to
high to get in straight.
How do you guys manage??
 
Interesting, but I was hoping to turn the brush in the breech
to give it a good scrub.

Thanks, I'll look into getting a a wire/cable cleaning system.
 
Interesting, but I was hoping to turn the brush in the breech
to give it a good scrub.

Thanks, I'll look into getting a a wire/cable cleaning system.

if you are cleaning up of old "yak fat" a good trick is to take the rear stock off put a cleaning rod through the bolt hold and thread on a brush while its in the receiver I would not use a the standard wire brush through I would use a soft brush. other then that it should not need much for cleaning just some really hot water down the bore and a few patches it should be good to go
 
I will reiterate my position on pull through type cleaning tools. They are better seen and not used.

The Martini is very easily disassembled. Disassemble it and remove the breech block and use and angular brush to clean the chamber. Make up a muzzle protector and use a proper coated cleaning rod.

Pull throughs are for amateurs IMHO. If used with proper muzzle protectors and proper techniques they are OK but you really need to be properly prepared to use them. Just remember, they aren't making any more barrels for those old girls. You need to treat them accordingly. The metal in those barrels are softer than what is used today so improper use of a pull through cleaner could prove disastrous after several cleanings.

I talked to a old REME that was a close friend before he passed on. One of his biggest peeves was the extensive muzzle wear caused by improperly used pull through cleaning tools in the field. Ask yourself why you see so many Springfields, Mausers, SKSs, Mosins etc with counterbores. Do it right every time and you won't do any irreparable harm to irreplaceable parts.
 
I will reiterate my position on pull through type cleaning tools. They are better seen and not used.

The Martini is very easily disassembled. Disassemble it and remove the breech block and use and angular brush to clean the chamber. Make up a muzzle protector and use a proper coated cleaning rod.

Pull throughs are for amateurs IMHO. If used with proper muzzle protectors and proper techniques they are OK but you really need to be properly prepared to use them. Just remember, they aren't making any more barrels for those old girls. You need to treat them accordingly. The metal in those barrels are softer than what is used today so improper use of a pull through cleaner could prove disastrous after several cleanings.

I talked to a old REME that was a close friend before he passed on. One of his biggest peeves was the extensive muzzle wear caused by improperly used pull through cleaning tools in the field. Ask yourself why you see so many Springfields, Mausers, SKSs, Mosins etc with counterbores. Do it right every time and you won't do any irreparable harm to irreplaceable parts.

the sks and mosin came with cleaning rods and muzzle protectors. the fowling in a gun should take the natural path from the breech to the muzzle I have used both cleaning rods and the pull through I use a muzzle protector for both I find the pull through easy to use and it packs away small
 
Back
Top Bottom