Breech loading black powder.

TravAce

Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Location
AB
looking at what is available for breech loading rifles built early 1800s. Can be older but no later then 1847. Repos preferred. But interested in originals as well. Preferred percussion and rifled. But again just curious what's out there.
 
The only thing I can think of for loose powder through the breech would be the earlier style Sharps that was used with paper cartridges and where the rising breech block shears off the rear of the paper. I believe Pedersoli makes that one. A little research will reveal what "model year" it was and is. The cap on that one is placed just like with a front stuffer percussion.

What's wrong with early cartridge rifles loaded with black powder though? Lots of fun to be had with those too/
 
The only one I can think of is the US Hall Model 1819 Flintlock rifles, and the later Hall M1841 percussion rifle. The Sharps Model 1852 Slant breech carbine is post 1847.
 
The only thing I can think of for loose powder through the breech would be the earlier style Sharps that was used with paper cartridges and where the rising breech block shears off the rear of the paper. I believe Pedersoli makes that one. A little research will reveal what "model year" it was and is. The cap on that one is placed just like with a front stuffer percussion.

What's wrong with early cartridge rifles loaded with black powder though? Lots of fun to be had with those too/

Just for personal taste. Nothing against old black powder cartridges. Just looking for something different
 
I’ve had one of the Norwegian rifles in my hands a couple years ago. He wouldn’t sell it. Very very cool old rifle.
 
Ferguson rifle. I’ve shot one, be prepared to be disappointed. My old smoothbore bess could outshoot it, actually it did outshoot it.
 
A lot of the early breech loaders leaked gas the the breech badly.The rifle shoppe down the states sells a parts kit to make a hall breech loader flint or percussion but be prepared to spend a lot of money and wait a long time for the parts
 
Dreyse needle gun... 1841

Lefaucheux made pinfire breechloaders prior to 1847.

And plenty of weird one off designs.

You're already in a very very niche field. Having a preference for repro, percussion and rifled will limit you to nothing, unless you want to build it yourself.
 
Back
Top Bottom