Bringing ammo back from the US

alvais

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Location
Ontario
I read the sticky about importing ammunition from the US and it doesn't really seem to apply to what I'm thinking so if anyone could clarify for me: would there be any problems with me going across the border to the US to buy ammunition (non-corrosive 7.62x39 and 5.56) in bulk and bringing it back to Canada if I declare it?

Also, since LaRue Tactical stuff is prohibited from export by ITAR, would it make a difference if I bought a mount there and brought it back (declared) - I've read that it's a no-go but just wanted to clarify?
 
To bring back ammo with you, you need a U.S. Export permit.
These permits are expensive and take time to process. Short answer is "forget it". The consequences of getting caught trying to sneak ammo out of the U.S. will get you in so much crap, it ain't worth it.
 
"...would it make a difference if I bought a mount there and..." Nope. Not much sold by LaRue you can't get here anyway.
"...Totally illegal under U.S. law..." Exactly. Our side allows you to import 5,000 rounds for personal use, but the U.S. does not allow non-immigrating aliens to be in possession of firearms or ammo unless you're there to hunt or shoot in a match with the proper permits in the first place. The U.S. Homeland Security types do make random inspections of out-going vehicles too. They take their job very seriously.
 
Thanks for the answers guys. Guess I won't be wasting a trip down south for no reason.

"Not much sold by LaRue you can't get here anyway.

Do you mean we can get LaRue stuff here in Canada or do you mean we can get the equivalent of the mounts they make but made by other manufacturers?
 
Slick Willy Clinton and Jean (Crétin) Chrétien realy put the screw to us, when it comes to us shooters, we can't get parts to repair our firearms without going to a canadian parts retailer who charges outrageous prices, and we can't import ammo ourselves or even go get it ourselves. Because of what the Liberals did to us with ITAR. Gee thanks fellas hope you rot in hell.

Bullet Caster
 
Thanks for the answers guys. Guess I won't be wasting a trip down south for no reason.



Do you mean we can get LaRue stuff here in Canada or do you mean we can get the equivalent of the mounts they make but made by other manufacturers?

Sure you can. You will have to wait for three years and pay four times as much, but I am sure someone in Canada is willing to rip you off.
 
I'd be interested in more details on that.

I deal with ITAR on a regular basis...and there are very specific inclusions and limitation to get something on the munitions list. Unless it was US technology Canada was selling...it would not have any ITAR impact

The reason we were hits with ITAR is because Canada sold some jets without getting US approval.
 
I'd be interested in more details on that.

I deal with ITAR on a regular basis...and there are very specific inclusions and limitation to get something on the munitions list. Unless it was US technology Canada was selling...it would not have any ITAR impact
Yes, it was US jets, or they contained US technology. This is why we now have the CGD, US pressure.
 
GUSHULAK;
"You will have to wait for three years and pay four times as much, but I am sure someone in Canada is willing to rip you off."

I'm sure that like most dealers I rersent the attitude of the people out there who seem to think all we do is "rip off" people day in and day out....

I tell you what seeing as how you apprently wish to serve your fellow shooters with minimum,if any, profit.... I am prepared to sell you some ammunition off shore, at my cost.... I will show you all relative government paperwork....

All you have to do is get your IIC in place, get an explosives import license, a magazine storage license, arrange your export docs, get your export permits, inland transit permits (with police escort), the loading permit at the exit port.... In Canada you will only require your inland transit arrangements.
Ready to talk a deal ??
John
 
Hey I didn't mean that the dealers are ripping us off, it's the system thats ripping us off, the dealers have a hard time just getting the stuff never mind making a huge markup. As for ITAR, I briefly read about it happening during the Clinton, Chrétien era and put 2 and 2 together and came up with my conclusion, stuff like that is kind of on the need to know basis...you have to go digging for the reasons behinds those things, so If I misinformed you guys I apologize. But like most people here I'm still pissed at Chrétien and his gang for Bill C-68 and all its trimmings.

Bullet Caster
 
Also, since LaRue Tactical stuff is prohibited from export by ITAR, would it make a difference if I bought a mount there and brought it back (declared) - I've read that it's a no-go but just wanted to clarify?

LaRue is exportable with a proper license. I'm shipping a box with $3000 of LaRue components to a customer in Canada this week. We're State Department registered and got the export license ahead of time.

The U.S. Homeland Security types do make random inspections of out-going vehicles too. They take their job very seriously.

Very true - "ICE" agents - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. They do outgoing checks regularly, and you'll be in big trouble if caught without an export license for certain products.

41205_512.jpg


Exporting ammo is usually only worthwhile in large quantities, or very-hard-to-find calibers.

Cheers,

Joel VanderHoek @ Dave's Sports Shop
 
"...try getting that licence..." A foreigner can't even apply for it. However, Stateside, there's an export permit and an exporter's licence. Not the same thing. A foreigner can't apply for the export permit either.
 
This is odd...when I phoned the CBSA they said you could bring back 5000 rounds for personal usage (I'm not planning on reselling them or anything). I did buy 500 rounds south of the border and brought it back with me. I declared it and went in and paid PST/GST on the value. I didn't have any issue. Now this could be all bubkiss for all I know but it does seem to fly in the face of what's being said in these forums. :eek:
 
This is odd...when I phoned the CBSA they said you could bring back 5000 rounds for personal usage (I'm not planning on reselling them or anything). I did buy 500 rounds south of the border and brought it back with me. I declared it and went in and paid PST/GST on the value. I didn't have any issue. Now this could be all bubkiss for all I know but it does seem to fly in the face of what's being said in these forums. :eek:
Did you phone the US Dept of State regarding export? That is the issue, not import.
 
Back
Top Bottom