Bringing ammo back from the US

Nope...can't say I did. Just walked into walmart, bought some and declared it on the way back. I was prepared to surrender it based on what I read here but like I said...didn't run into any issue. I'm gathering that this was incorrectly done regardless of how easy it all seemed?
 
To bring back ammo with you, you need a U.S. Export permit.
These permits are expensive and take time to process. Short answer is "forget it". The consequences of getting caught trying to sneak ammo out of the U.S. will get you in so much crap, it ain't worth it.

I think it's moot anyway...
I'm in the US shooting on a regular basis and usually hit a few gun shops while there.
Ammo at good prices is as scarce there as it is here.
There are no real bargains.
 
I think it's moot anyway...
I'm in the US shooting on a regular basis and usually hit a few gun shops while there.
Ammo at good prices is as scarce there as it is here.
There are no real bargains.
True..for the most part (especially when buying in bulk). However, some things are much cheaper when found (at least I thought so).
 
Last edited:
This is odd...when I phoned the CBSA they said you could bring back 5000 rounds for personal usage (I'm not planning on reselling them or anything). I did buy 500 rounds south of the border and brought it back with me. I declared it and went in and paid PST/GST on the value. I didn't have any issue. Now this could be all bubkiss for all I know but it does seem to fly in the face of what's being said in these forums. :eek:

So the next time you are in Europe or South America or anywhere that views Canada as an ally rather than a suspect, buy some ammo to bring home.

Nope...can't say I did. Just walked into walmart, bought some and declared it on the way back. I was prepared to surrender it based on what I read here but like I said...didn't run into any issue. I'm gathering that this was incorrectly done regardless of how easy it all seemed?

True..for the most part (especially when buying in bulk). However, some things are much cheaper when found (at least I thought so). I found .308 for $295/500 rounds. That seemed pretty good to me. Now I haven't fire it yet but it was made by Federal so I'm assuming it will be ok.

Seeing as you just admitted to violating US law, it might be a good idea to not post anything that gives away your true identity. Ever.
 
Nope...can't say I did. Just walked into walmart, bought some and declared it on the way back. I was prepared to surrender it based on what I read here but like I said...didn't run into any issue. I'm gathering that this was incorrectly done regardless of how easy it all seemed?

Easy yes. But what would have happened if you were stopped at a random spotcheck on US soil? Those ICE agents in Dave's photo may take issue with that.
 
When you cross an International boundary, you leave or "export" from one country while simultaneously entering or "importing" to the destined country.
So when you enter the US you are actually exporting from Canada and Importing to the USA.
There are exemptions in place for your vehicle and travellers effects but anything outside of that is subject to the regs.

To "import' anything into Canada from the USA, you have to " export " it from somewhere. In this case, the USA. To 'export' that legally, all your permits and licenses must be proper or you are subject to penalties. (BIG penalties)
To 'import' the same goods to the destination country ( Canada) a new set or regulations is in place by that Country and those regulations must be met to avoid penalties.
Whenever you import,you also export and both sets of regulations must be met to satisfy both countries legalities.
I once spoke to a USCBP exports Officer who told me that only companies with lots of money will even apply for export permits because of the time and cost involved.

I do not blame the retailers of the goods and can honestly say that without their continuing efforts this would probably be a lost cause. Think of the hours upon hours of paperwork that has to be done and then audited over and over again because one line out of place could cost you big money.

so just as a by the way, Thanks to those that keep doing it for our sake
 
Slick Willy Clinton and Jean (Crétin) Chrétien realy put the screw to us, when it comes to us shooters, we can't get parts to repair our firearms without going to a canadian parts retailer who charges outrageous prices, and we can't import ammo ourselves or even go get it ourselves. Because of what the Liberals did to us with ITAR. Gee thanks fellas hope you rot in hell.

Bullet Caster

I think you'll find it was George W who brought in these restrictions under the guise of "Homeland Security" following 9/11. He is also the one responsible for the Form 6 we need to take guns and ammo to the US. None of this was in place prior to 9/11.
 
Back
Top Bottom