Brown Bess ?

alexD92

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Location
Canada
Hey guys!
So I'm tired of fondling my AR15 while watching movies like The Patriot, The Last of the Mohicans, Turn, etc. Where can I get a Brown Bess and assorted shooting accessories in Canada?

I'd probably looking for the following things:
- Brown Bess musket
- Sling
- Black powder
- Balls
- Flint
- Bayonet!
- other necessary shooting supplies.

Cheers!
Alex
 
First question would be "why a brown bess? " Both movies also featured flintlock rifles and I think they would be a better first choice. The bess consumes a lot more powder and lead plus would take more learning to be accurate with and a Pennsylvania style flinter around 50 cal and with a set trigger, I think would be a lot easier and cheaper to start with.

A second observation would be that instead of jumping into one specific gun immediately, I think you would be wise to join a local fish and game club and see what other black powder shooters are using (and probably be offered a shot or two) and that would give you a better and broader perspective to chose from

cheers mooncoon
 
I second Mooncoon's comment - the Brown Bess load is ca. 120gr of FFg and a ball the size of a pumpkin. Accuracy can be surprisingly good - see Murphy's muskets on Youtube, but he's been shooting it for a good while. The Bess is long and heavy and built like a telephone pole with bits of iron attached here and there - takes some holding for sure.

Join in a BP-shooting club, and find out what it's all about.

tac
 
It would mostly be a show piece with occassional range trips. I'm mostly intetested by the Bess for its history
 
try "Loyalist Arms" out of Halifax if that is your plan. they have some relatively inexpensive but definitely fireable patterns of Besses available. they will be able to supply most of the rest of what you are looking for as well.

Loyalist Arms would be my choice too. The Loyalist Bess will arrive ready to shoot. I bought a second cheaper Bess somewhere else. It required a trip to a smith to make it shootable. He had to cleanup the internal lock parts, harden the frizzen and properly thread the breech plug.
 
I started with a Pedersoli Brown Bess and have no regrets :) It's not going to win any bulls eye trophy's lol, but its an awesome piece of British/Canadian Military history.

They're very reliable once you figure out the proper way to load and take care of it. My accuracy at 50m free hand with 69cal ball, paper cartridge "no lube", 100gr FFg is about a 16" group. I use FFFg in the pan and the flint is lead wrapped.

I could probably shoot better with a larger ball, proper patch and FFFFg in the pan, but I prefer a more traditional military style load :D
 
Pedersoli makes a great Bess. As long as I do my part Bess does her's:)
I started with a Pedersoli Brown Bess and have no regrets :) It's not going to win any bulls eye trophy's lol, but its an awesome piece of British/Canadian Military history.

They're very reliable once you figure out the proper way to load and take care of it. My accuracy at 50m free hand with 69cal ball, paper cartridge "no lube", 100gr FFg is about a 16" group. I use FFFg in the pan and the flint is lead wrapped.

I could probably shoot better with a larger ball, proper patch and FFFFg in the pan, but I prefer a more traditional military style load :D

"Brown Bess"

In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes and brocade
Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise--
An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes--
At Blenheim and Ramillies fops would confess
They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.

Though her sight was not long and her weight was not small,
Yet her actions were winning, her language was clear;
And everyone bowed as she opened the ball
On the arm of some high-gaitered, grim grenadier.
Half Europe admitted the striking success
Of the dances and routs that were given by Brown Bess.

When ruffles were turned into stiff leather stocks,
And people wore pigtails instead of perukes,
Brown Bess never altered her iron-grey locks.
She knew she was valued for more than her looks.
"Oh, powder and patches was always my dress,
And I think am killing enough," said Brown Bess.

So she followed her red-coats, whatever they did,
From the heights of Quebec to the plains of Assaye,
From Gibraltar to Acre, Cape Town and Madrid,
And nothing about her was changed on the way;
(But most of the Empire which now we possess
Was won through those years by old-fashioned Brown Bess.)

In stubborn retreat or in stately advance,
From the Portugal coast to the cork-woods of Spain,
She had puzzled some excellent Marshals of France
Till none of them wanted to meet her again:
But later, near Brussels, Napoleon--no less--
Arranged for a Waterloo ball with Brown Bess.

She had danced till the dawn of that terrible day--
She danced till the dusk of more terrible night,
And before her linked squares his battalions gave way,
And her long fierce quadrilles put his lancers to flight:
And when his gilt carriage drove off in the press,
"I have danced my last dance for the world!" said Brown Bess.

If you go to Museums--there's one in Whitehall--
Where old weapons are shown with their names writ beneath,
You will find her, upstanding, her back to the wall,
As stiff as a ramrod, the flint in her teeth.
And if ever we English had reason to bless
Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Rudyard Kipling
 
Pedersoli makes a great Bess. As long as I do my part Bess does her's:)

"Brown Bess"

In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes and brocade
Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise--
An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes--
At Blenheim and Ramillies fops would confess
They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.

Though her sight was not long and her weight was not small,
Yet her actions were winning, her language was clear;
And everyone bowed as she opened the ball
On the arm of some high-gaitered, grim grenadier.
Half Europe admitted the striking success
Of the dances and routs that were given by Brown Bess.

When ruffles were turned into stiff leather stocks,
And people wore pigtails instead of perukes,
Brown Bess never altered her iron-grey locks.
She knew she was valued for more than her looks.
"Oh, powder and patches was always my dress,
And I think am killing enough," said Brown Bess.

So she followed her red-coats, whatever they did,
From the heights of Quebec to the plains of Assaye,
From Gibraltar to Acre, Cape Town and Madrid,
And nothing about her was changed on the way;
(But most of the Empire which now we possess
Was won through those years by old-fashioned Brown Bess.)

In stubborn retreat or in stately advance,
From the Portugal coast to the cork-woods of Spain,
She had puzzled some excellent Marshals of France
Till none of them wanted to meet her again:
But later, near Brussels, Napoleon--no less--
Arranged for a Waterloo ball with Brown Bess.

She had danced till the dawn of that terrible day--
She danced till the dusk of more terrible night,
And before her linked squares his battalions gave way,
And her long fierce quadrilles put his lancers to flight:
And when his gilt carriage drove off in the press,
"I have danced my last dance for the world!" said Brown Bess.

If you go to Museums--there's one in Whitehall--
Where old weapons are shown with their names writ beneath,
You will find her, upstanding, her back to the wall,
As stiff as a ramrod, the flint in her teeth.
And if ever we English had reason to bless
Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Rudyard Kipling

Kipling had a way with soldier's poetry!
 
There's an early Pedersoli Bess up for sale on the Collector's Source website. It's listed either under "rifles" or "antiques", can't remember which but is was still available a week ago

Good luck
 
I will be the fourth guy to vouch for Loyalist Arms. I have purchased a number of firearms from him. So far i have the Europian Match lock, The English Trade Gun, the 1842 Springfield and a Tower Pistol. I am super happy with all of them.

http://www.loyalistarms.ca/mainpage.php

Hey guys!
So I'm tired of fondling my AR15 while watching movies like The Patriot, The Last of the Mohicans, Turn, etc. Where can I get a Brown Bess and assorted shooting accessories in Canada?

I'd probably looking for the following things:
- Brown Bess musket
- Sling
- Black powder
- Balls
- Flint
- Bayonet!
- other necessary shooting supplies.

Cheers!
Alex
 
I will be the fourth guy to vouch for Loyalist Arms. I have purchased a number of firearms from him. So far i have the Europian Match lock, The English Trade Gun, the 1842 Springfield and a Tower Pistol. I am super happy with all of them.

http://www.loyalistarms.ca/mainpage.php

Yup, they sell good historical black powder guns for reasonable prices, another vote from me.
 
Back
Top Bottom