BSA Aussie Martini Cadet in .357Mag

diopter

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Location
Montreal
Picked it up today. Anyone have any info on them?
Barrel still has original "310 ??--120" on barrel, but not marked .357mag anywhere.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0...A Aussie Cadet in 357mag/?albumview=slideshow

CopyofP1010628.jpg
 
Wow, 3 of my favorite features in one rifle. Full stock, martini action, 357 magnum. If it were not set up for a lefty you would be getting a PM about what my new rifle was going to cost me. Beauty wood to boot. I just realized this is the rifle I have been looking for for all these years.
 
Back in the '60s when these Martini Cadets were being sold by Klein's in Chicago for $9.95 in .310, sales were slow. Many were rebored to make them more attractive. Maybe yours was rebored then. If so, it has certainly been customized since.
 
That is a sweet little rifle. Hope to hear a range report.

Should be pretty easy to tell if it's 357 as opposed to 310.
A fired 38Spl case from my S&W M52 would not chamber easily but PMC factory .357mag was ok.

I too wonder if whomever did it, did a good job of bedding the forearm for accuracy.
 
It uses a hanger style forestock attachment system, like most most two piece stocks like Enfields, Martinis, Winchesters, all shotguns, etc.

P1010650.jpg


P1010651.jpg


P1010652.jpg
 
The swoopey - swooney top of the breech can only accomodate a certain length of case.

It uses a hanger style forestock attachment system, like most most two piece stocks like Enfields, Martinis, Winchesters, all shotguns, etc.

P1010650.jpg


P1010651.jpg


P1010652.jpg

Ya, I had a Greener Police Shotgun once that had a similar set up, there was a mortise that projected from the rear of the forend into the receiver, a kinda ersatz barrel band, and a big doughty nosecap with a bead on top of it.

Now that I see the inner workings, it seems like an excellent way to bed the barrel properly. :)
 
.. As a bit of a side note. Back in the 60's these were sold in Army Surplus Stores, in the full original, 310 Cadet, for about $3.00. Just what Cadet Stores/Warehouse they originated I don't know, as the School I attended had a very large Cadet Corp, and they'd had the SMLE No3s prior to WW2, and certainly not the Martini's. ... Anyway, the Australian Arms Company "SPORTCO" made a large number of "conversions" to .22 LR, .22 Hornet and .218 Bee. Conversions to .357 Magnum were done by smaller individual Gunsmiths, and were a great little rifle ! ( I should know! 'Had one, and regrettably, sold it ! ) ..... David K
 
The swoopey - swooney top of the breech can only accomodate a certain length of case.

That is kind of what I figured but haven't got a clear image in my head of the scale of the cadet action. Never handled one much.

Used to shoot a full scale Martini in 45-70 and had to be mindful of the length when loading fat nosed bullets. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the large action 22 kHornet that I have now though. Lol!
 
Ok with me.
Most likely a side mount as used for top eject lever guns like the Win 94.
Check the hole spacing and compare mounts
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom