buck and ball in a rifled barrel

griaguns

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Does anyone have experience in loading buck and ball in a percussion rifle with a rifled barrel.
I would like to load multiple projectiles in my 50 cal to get around a single projectile ban.
I have read that loading it normal (patch and ball ) then placing a wad over the ball drop in buck shot and then an overshot card works .
Let me know what you have tried
 
I have loaded a single piece of buckshot in the barrel and on top of the powder followed by a patched roundball. The buckshot flies off into space and does not affect your accuracy. I think what might trip you up however is that it is minimum 20 guage for buckshot loads for deer. The regs also, I think, define buckshot loads as x number of 00 pellets or something along those lines. That probably means that you have to use a trade gun or bess and possibly means that you have to put a defined minimum number of buckshot pellets down the barrel. The games laws currently do not appear to define the maxiumum size of a piece of buckshot and are written around cartridge shotguns

cheers mooncoon
 
I hunt in a "single projectiles prohibited/shotguns with shot only" area. I cannot find a minimum amount of pellets in the BC hunting regulations. Only the 20 gauge bore size minimum with size #1 buckshot. I recall seeing a minimum pellet quantity in the reg's years back but I can't find it.

Cheers, Steve.
 
Your going to have to experiment. Put down a powder charge and then try adding buckshot pellets in different ways. . I tried a powder charge with some 32 caliber balls (I think 2 or 3) and then a patched ball on top. Not sure were the buckshot went and wasn't too impressed with accuracy. well...thats my experience... I went another route. I improved the pattern of my buckshot in my smooth bore increasing its effective range. I roll a under bore size tube out of paper from a brown paper bag and crimp/glue one end shut. Now comes the important part. You have to use pellets that fit evenly side by side. I find O buck will fit 3 per layer in a 12 gauge and OO will fit 2. I put 12 pellets of O or 9 pellets of OO in the tube. I then pour a mixture of bees wax and crisco into the tube until the pellets are covered and let it cool. Then I crimp the end shut. You have to use a powder charge that is hefty enough to blow the tube open. I find 80 grains of 2F works. Anyway the result is that at 50 yards you get a 100% pattern( in a 30 inch circle) in a cylinder bore. I would NOT do this in a choked barrel though. I'm sure this would kill a deer at a further range but I don't want to risk wounding one.

Sorry if I got off topic a bit...Steve.
 
Back
Top Bottom