I'd like to try a buck and ball load in a 24gauge (.58) smoothbore musket. I'm going to use a .562 ball with a .015 patch. Would the patch and ball go in 1st, acting as a gas check for the 3 smaller balls of ( what? ) size. I would assume a wad would be on top of it all. Thanks.
You want the buckshot to sit in even layers, or they deform BADLY on firing. Even with layers of 2, the deformation tends to be significant. The original official B&B loads were layers of 3 on top of the ball in a cartridge, or sometimes a layer of 4 if smaller buckshot was used, especially in home-grown loads. In your 24ga, you'll need #2 buck to get it to get a flat layer of 3 if you're loading this separately, certainly nothing larger, and maybe even #3. If you want to try a cartridge, you need #3 buck or more likely #4, and possibly a smaller ball. Loaded separately, #4 would likely sit in a layer of 4.
I put this together a while ago:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
buckshot size for loading in even layers:
- 2: 1/2 * the minimun diameter of bore, choke, or inside of shotcup
- 3: .4639 * the minimum diameter " " "
- 4: .4142 * the minimum diameter " " "
- 5(+1 in centre between layers): .36± * the minimum diameter "
- 7: 1/3 * the minimum diameter " " "
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I realize that I'm kind of late with this, but I don't get to CGN too often at the moment.
Regards,
Joel