"Buckhorn" Rear Sights???

Ol' Flinter

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 98.1%
52   1   0
Location
Ottawa
It has puzzled me for years so I am asking: "What is the purpose of the "horns" on a buckhorn sight? Has anyone ever seen a reference in any old books as to the reason for them. Maybe they are intended protect the sight from damage or a rifle scabbard from damage by a conventional design sight, or maybe the front sight can be drawn up between the horns for long range shots or a quick sight picture on a close-range target as like a crude peep sight. Any ideas? In my experience all they did was obscure the area surrounding the target.
 
I use them like you suggest, modified semi peep style with the ability to drop the bead low in the pocket for up close and use the top of the ears for longer distances.
Most people don't like them it seems but I like the flexibility of the sight picture for Kentucky windage.
 
mdl8.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom