Build your own kit ? Canada ?

Jetman

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
MB
Anywhere in Canada you could order traditions build your own kit?
Specifically looking for a .50 flintlock ?
 
You'll likely have to look south of border; even Wholesale stopped selling the Lyman GPR kits which are really a nice kit.

Getting the parts across the border (for Non-restricted length frontstuffers) is a non-issue. These parts ( lock, stock AND barrel included) are not subject to the same ITAR restrictions as other firearms parts. Track of the Wolf I've found great to deal with; other companies include Sitting Fox, Dixie Gun Works, there are quite a few who ship across the border. Track's selection is tough to beat; and their catalogue has full scale drawings of their lock parts and other key components to help you plan a build.

Track also offers a wide selection of kits with pre-selected parts (as well as the Lyman kits).
 
I've wondered about U.S. ITAR/export laws about BP parts. The BP firearms themselves are mostly exempted & easy to get, but I'd never been able to find ITAR wording that supported BP barrels as being exempted from the 'big-5' export-controlled components (barrels, bolts, magazines, revolver cylinders, & receivers/frames).
Not disputing; you have links to references in support of BP barrel exemption? There's one or two I'd been looking at from TOTW that I'd love to move on.
 
My wife ordered a .32 traditions crocket kit for me for Christmas from hillfolk in saskatchawn. They are great to deal with.

That's where I ordered my Lyman GPR 54 kit from. Doug and Becky are fantastic to deal with, heck they even fed me lunch.
Doug and Becky Middleton Hillfolk Musket Supplies Senlac, SK 306-228-2949
 
I have bought more than a dozen muzzle loader barrels (including 12" pistol barrels), locks and other BP parts from several USA suppliers including Track, Pecatonica and Dixie with no hassles whatsoever. You will pay U.S. Priority Parcel Post (never use couriers as they will rob you blind) and probably GST if the order is over about $200.
Clark Industries in Ontario is going into "Retirement" and is offering some very good deals on custom quality rifle parts and kits right now. They aren't inexpensive but excellent quality and cost competitive with USA sources, given the current exchange rate.
 
Problem with this Hillfolk place is they don't have a web site so you can't really shop there. You have to phone them and find out what they have and not really have a choice of of what you want.
 
I've wondered about U.S. ITAR/export laws about BP parts. The BP firearms themselves are mostly exempted & easy to get, but I'd never been able to find ITAR wording that supported BP barrels as being exempted from the 'big-5' export-controlled components (barrels, bolts, magazines, revolver cylinders, & receivers/frames).
Not disputing; you have links to references in support of BP barrel exemption? There's one or two I'd been looking at from TOTW that I'd love to move on.

As Ol'Flinter says above. Go ahead and order; TOTW, Pectonia, Sitting Fix, you name it. Not a problem. YOU don't need to worry about ITAR since you ain't the exporter - and these companies rely on their own knowledge and legal advice. They know their business and the US laws: "Not yer problem". It IS your problem if YOU show up at the border crossing with something that ain't exempt and the good folks at DHS happen to check you before you cross the magic line. NOT yer problem if you've ordered from an exporter and they screwed up.

And yes, regarding Hillfolk - I'd love to shop there but don't even know what they have. Looking for parts (often small stuff/specialty stuff) and don't have time to sit on the phone at all. Websites are convenient and TOTW's catalogue is, well - GREAT.
 
Instead of a kit, why not order the parts you want and go from there. Start with a pre carved / inlet stock for the first build, , and actually build the rifle you want. It isn't that hard and in the end you actually built a custom rifle .
You don't need a lot of expensive tools , and mystical skills. A factory kit is little more than buying a decent used rifle , taking it apart and re finishing it.
 
Back
Top Bottom