I have pretty much settled on .45-70 Gov't for my caliber - I don't want hassles with scarce brass, and the black powder geeks I have been reading are saying the optimal barrel length is about 30". The action will have to be a falling block Sharps or the 1885 pattern High Wall. Ideally I want that pipe to be half round/half octagonal like the one on Rex's rolling block in that pic a few posts up. I am up in the air about finnish - I want a gun that can go into the field as well as the range and think that a plain, duller, more utilitarian gun will be a good place to start.
You have one week gentlemen! Do you have (or do you know somebody that has) a good rifle for a beginner that needs a new home? I have a pal and can pay by EMT if the deal is reasonable...PM me if you spot something! Otherwise I will just by a new repro and get started that way. Please let me know if you have any shoots in Alberta, BC or Saskatchewan that will allow the informal newbie to take part!
Cheers!
Jim