Building up a hand.

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I bought a new hand and spring for my 1849 Pocket Colt and took too much off with a file..:eek:
Anyone had any success building up the steel to make it work, arc weld is what I am thinking....any suggestions???????????
 
I bought a new hand and spring for my 1849 Pocket Colt and took too much off with a file..:eek:
Anyone had any success building up the steel to make it work, arc weld is what I am thinking....any suggestions???????????

I suspect that you would burn right through such a small piece by arc welding although you might get away with gas welding. If it is only a few thousandths, you might be able to peen the end a bit longer. A hand is not a terribly difficult piece to make from scratch; you might want to try making one. Also, although it would probably bugger up the spring, you could silver solder (high temp Ag) a piece on. Cut the end say 3/16 shorter and add 1/4" then file to fit. You would require major heat shielding for the spring.

cheers mooncoon
 
If you are worried about losing temper, build yourself a little Heat Sink. Tin Tobacco lid filled with water works well.
Wrap a little wire around it so the part to be welded / soldered is propped above the water line & have at her.
Arc welding hasn't worked well for me personally. Brazing works pretty well, soldering next. Oxy - Acet welding with mild steel rods is OK if you can keep the rest of the piece to be welded cool.
Good luck
 
hand repair

why spend so much effort for a part that is readily avail from a number of sources? i bought one for mine and i think it was about 12- from dixie gun works. came with spring and all i did was a little stone work and it fit and works fine. cheers, bill
 
I've been making my hands from scratch - found the welder generally was too finicky or sucked the temper out of the spring, thus buggering it despite all the care and hard work into it.

Generally mild steel for the hand, a piece of a broken drill bit for the pivot pin, and a small flat spring are all you need. A dremel is very handy, as is a hacksaw, some fine files (flat and rounded) and possibly JB weld, depending on your method.
 
I have succesfully used the "peening" technique... I use an ordinary cold chisel with the edge rounded off and place it across the hand and carefully work both sides in 2 or 3 locations until you have arrived at the proper length.
 
Back
Top Bottom