Bullet weight vs Bullet length

RickP

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Location
Thunder Bay
As a new shooter I have been trying to understand this:
d897ff3697a3bbde34972528dbaf3dc4.png

Where can I find the length of the various weight bullets that are available in 22 cal? For example, what is the length of a 35g vs a 60g Hornady VMax or a 40g vs a 70g Speer SP.

I'm shooting a 222 with a twist rate of 1:14.

An inquiring mind wishes to know more. :HR:

Thanks.
 
I would guess your good to go with 55 gr bullets, but not much heavier with a 1 in 14 twist. Some 60 grain might work if not too pointy. On my boxes of Hornady 60 gr V max it is marked for twists of 1 in 7 to 1 in 12. I know mine with a twist of 1 in 9 likes the 60 gr very much. Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it.
 
Last edited:
You're getting far too complicated. Pick the rifle and look on the maker's site for the twist they use. Different if you're having a barrel made. Most barrel makers give you the option of what twist. A fast twist is for heavy bullets, slow for light.
"...Almost all manufacturers..." No bullet lengths on Hornady or Sierra's site.
 
I have tried the 55 gr bullets of different manufacture in my BSA .222 that is 1-14 twist. They shot OK but when I tried the 50 grain v-max , it really came to life. I field shoot mainly and 200 yard shots are spectacular. If one weight works fine then develop a load with that weight.
 
Back
Top Bottom